2-way: Waveguide + Cardioid-like

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• Kii Three.png
    Kii Three.png
    97.5 KB · Views: 894
Last edited:
Tweeter looses the waveguide effect and is still not at ideal depth considering timing. The frame that holds the tweeter makes extra diffractions for the midrange. We can see lots of those in car speakerers.

RL 940 responses, funny that we can't see what happens between 0-45deg - I guess that doesn't look nice.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Congratulations keyser and D&D team!

I just read the linked article. Review by Kal Rubinson and measurements by John Atkinson

KR:As things stand now, I think that the Dutch & Dutch 8c might be the sweet spot in the new category of active speakers. It's a truly full-range system with enough dynamic range and power for almost any domestic situation.
Read more at Dutch & Dutch 8c active loudspeaker system Page 2 | Stereophile.com

JA: In summing up the Dutch & Dutch 8c's measured performance, all I can say is "Wow!"
Read more at Dutch & Dutch 8c active loudspeaker system Measurements | Stereophile.com

As a reminder here is Soundstage review with NRC measurements SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com - Dutch & Dutch 8c Active Loudspeakers

p.s. Personally I am happy to read no complaints about the omnipole radiating backside bass below 100Hz...

Last edited:
I bet NRC dip of bass at 60Hz is because of backside woofers making cancellation in the chamber which is claimed reliable only above 80Hz. We can see this kind of response in many other measurements.

Backside response shows no dip at 60Hz and deep cardiod nulling at 250-400Hz (roughly an octave) which is what I had expected, not wider than that! It would be nice to see full polar 0-180deg!

fr_woofers.png

Distortion in the low band of midrange is because it is cardiod with poor efficiency and only poor 8"

PSB’s Paul Barton Takes Playback/Hi-Fi+ On A Guided Tour of Canada’s NRC Acoustics Labs—Part 1 | Hi-Fi+

The problems of Darko were with dsp and obviously code or interface. I hope that these issues have been solved now.

Congratulations keyser and D&D team!

Thank you Juhazi!

I just read the linked article. Review by Kal Rubinson and measurements by John Atkinson

KR:As things stand now, I think that the Dutch & Dutch 8c might be the sweet spot in the new category of active speakers. It's a truly full-range system with enough dynamic range and power for almost any domestic situation.
Read more at Dutch & Dutch 8c active loudspeaker system Page 2 | Stereophile.com

JA: In summing up the Dutch & Dutch 8c's measured performance, all I can say is "Wow!"
Read more at Dutch & Dutch 8c active loudspeaker system Measurements | Stereophile.com

As a reminder here is Soundstage review with NRC measurements SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com - Dutch & Dutch 8c Active Loudspeakers

p.s. Personally I am happy to read no complaints about the omnipole radiating backside bass below 100Hz...

The 8c is designed to be placed relatively close to the front-wall. The subwoofers in the back couple with the wall and together they form a hemispherical radiation pattern. A hemisphere has a decent directivity match with a cardioid.

In this post I discuss the measurements. There are some discrepancies between the Soundstage measurements and my own. Quite interesting I think.

I really think that loudspeaker that went to the NRC at Soundstage malfunctioned in some way. Darko Audio also had lots of problems with D&D 8C

Unfinished business with the Dutch & Dutch 8c | Darko.Audio

I have no reason to assume the pair Soundstage had was faulty.

Darko was quite unlucky though.

One of the 8c's of the first pair delivered to Darko malfunctioned. It played six dB less loud than it should. This was traced back to a hardware error on the input board.

One of the 8c's of the replacement pair was damaged in transit. Something had pierced the carton and damaged the mid driver.

The third pair was fine. On it we had installed a beta-version of the firmware that included Roon. It was however still quite buggy - John Darko was aware of this, but it's understandably quite annoying when something works fine but stops working on the day you want to do your video review.

Unfinished business. We'll have a fourth pair delivered to him when we've officially launched the Roon Ready firmware :cool:.

I bet NRC dip of bass at 60Hz is because of backside woofers making cancellation in the chamber which is claimed reliable only above 80Hz. We can see this kind of response in many other measurements.

Correct. The response in the bass is flat. In the Stereophile measurement there are narrow dips as well, but those are the result of parametric EQ's that we still on. The high distortion in the bass in the NRC measurements is a room artefact as well, confirmed by Douglas Schneider of Soundstage.

Backside response shows no dip at 60Hz and deep cardiod nulling at 250-400Hz (roughly an octave) which is what I had expected, not wider than that! It would be nice to see full polar 0-180deg!

fr_woofers.png

The cardioid works over a much wider range than that. It works well from under 100 hz up to about 450 hz. That's where driver directivity and diffraction/ baffle-step gradually take over.

The graph below is without subwoofers:

IMG_0271.PNG.ac646c1afe01a364b60ed82b012f1724.PNG

Note that in the Soundstage measurements the level on the back relative to the front is already around 9 dB down by 150 hz.

Also note that at exactly 180 degrees the results are a bit less good than just off that axis. That's because sounds that wrap around the left and right side of the baffle are exactly in phase at precisely 180 degrees and thus louder than just off that axis. It's clearly visible in the sonogram plot.

Distortion in the low band of midrange is because it is cardiod with poor efficiency and only poor 8"

The 8c is a relatively compact full-range loudspeaker that offers low distortion at normal and somewhat elevated listening levels. At high levels distortion can become audible on some program material. This is the price we choose to pay for a cardioid radiation pattern in a speaker this size. However, 96 dB at one meter at a single frequency from a single speaker is very loud. In practice, in rooms with some reflections a pair of 8c’s can be played quite loudly and they do actually sound clean at quite high levels (this is mentioned in almost every review you'll find online). But if you’re into very loud music, they certainly have their limits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.