Medium Efficiency Speakers for Integrated Tube Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the process of downsizing from large Dunlavy speakers with Levinson amplification to smaller floorstanding or bookshelf speakers with moderate power (35 watt EL34 or 40 watt KT88) integrated tube amplification. I don't need super high efficiency speakers, just efficient enough to be a good match for a tube amp. I am hoping for full-range sound at more modest listening levels.

After years of status quo, I ventured out recently to audition some new equipment. I listened to a low-powered (15 watt) integrated Leben tube amp paired to Dynaudio Focus 220 speakers (86 dB efficient). This was a great match although I am concerned that the sound will compress and the imaging will collapse at higher volumes or in a bigger space than the demo room.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

15W is likely to be sufficient.

Right, you'd be surprised how much power that actually is.

A friend of mine that owns an audio shop used to tell stories about goofballs who came into the store to buy speakers, who would ask "oh, well, how loud can those go?"

He would proceed to connect a meter to the speaker and a tone generator with white noise. It was very rare that a customer remained in the store when 1 watt of white noise was fed into the speakers.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I think it is important that the speakers work in your room more than what you push them with. After visiting a number of high end audio shops a couple years back I came to the conclusion that you could spend thousands on speakers and not get that engaging, involving sound.

I built a well regarded 2 way kit and it was not bad but still fell short. I started looking at full rangers and found the sound I'd been missing. I grew up listening to my Dad's McIntosh / Wharfdale system so I knew how good music could sound.

I'd find the speakers that sound good in your room and then decide what to push them with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.