dipole monopole or?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have bought 8 pcs of 10" peerless LF drivers 830638 (unknown T/S parameters), and I have 2 pcs. of Mark Audio CPH-70 Gold and 2-way MiniDSP setup.

I plan to make som kind of open baffle, but there are so many concepts around, that it's hard to choose.

I have som design criterias, and I hope you guys can help me narrow the posiibilitis a bit.

Criterias:
1: Fairly deep destincy bass - no boomy bass. I have 4 LF drivers per speaker because I want bass that is of high quality, not because I want high SPL.
2: Fairly small form factor - not too deep (max 40 cm.) and not too tall (max 1 meter)
3: Wide perspective (omni?). I don't sit and listend in my favorite chair anymore, so no ego speakers.
4: Speakers will have maximum 30-40 cm from walls, some kind of corner solution could be ok.

My thought are to use the Mark Audio driver in omni configuration firing upwards and spread the sound waves with a cone. I guess x-over point should be somewhere around 200-300 Hz.

Any help will be much appreciated

Last edited:
living room

here is my living room. The TV set has it's own speakers, so main speaker are for music only. The couch is not the listening position, but there should be some bass. I will probably sit in the dipole null. Should I make the subs (<200 Hz) individual from main speakers in order to be able to change positioning (for optimum sound in most of the room). Main listening position will be in front of the speakers. The big door is always open (to the next room - it's too rooms in conjunction)

Jpeg stue.jpg

much help here!!
If you don't get help, you probably have asked at the wrong place or asked unreasonable questions. I see both here.

Usually people place dipole questions under "Multiway", if it is not about planar dipoles.

Your restriction to "maximum 30-40 cm from walls" makes this an instant no-go for dipoles. The speaker positions you drew in your room plan certainly are a wrong choice for any dipole application.

Rudolf

I have two designs that I am going to try with 3X8"subs per side.
One is an H-frame dipole and the other is an electronicaly assisted ported box.

I am pretty sure the dipole will give me a nice clean sound.

But the ported configuration is going to rock on up to 118db for the pair flat down to 25hz.
Using a slightly smaller cabinet tuned very low in order to keep the group delay down I wiil try to posted the sim data here even though this is not the subwoofer forum thread.

jer

If you don't get help, you probably have asked at the wrong place or asked unreasonable questions. I see both here.

Usually people place dipole questions under "Multiway", if it is not about planar dipoles.

Your restriction to "maximum 30-40 cm from walls" makes this an instant no-go for dipoles. The speaker positions you drew in your room plan certainly are a wrong choice for any dipole application.

Rudolf

I have asked for the topic to be moved.
Thanks for ruling out dipole OB, that's one choise less.

Unreasonable - please explain?

Unreasonable - please explain?
I looked up the german translations for "unreasonable". Looks like it is not exactly the proper word for what I wanted to say. :eek: Should be more like "illogical". Like asking for a bass horn with less than 10 cm depth.

If you are striving "for optimum sound in most of the room", perhaps "omnipolar" would be what you really want.

I looked up the german translations for "unreasonable". Looks like it is not exactly the proper word for what I wanted to say. :eek: Should be more like "illogical". Like asking for a bass horn with less than 10 cm depth.

If you are striving "for optimum sound in most of the room", perhaps "omnipolar" would be what you really want.

It's an open question "Dipol monopol or?" - The questionmark could have been omnipol instead. I have seen omnipol open baffle as well. Please note that it's open baffle I want to try, not specifically dipol open baffle. That topology is almost ruled out by now, even though I will try anyway:xfingers:

I bought drivers for this DIY project

http://oaudio.de/Lautsprecher-Bausaetze/Subwoofer/Dipol-W8Q-Bausatz::642.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Recommendations from another thread recommended to double up on the cone area. The TB woofer are out now, and I have bought eight 10" Peerless woofers instead. My thoughts was, that with souch a small open baffle from "blue planet acoustic", I should be able to build a small open baffle with ok LF output at low SPL (I never listen higher than 90 dB SPL).

I have also come across open baffle corner sub's on linkwitz's page, but there are so many more or less well documentet open baffle constructions out there.

more of this would be nice
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/172553-amt-sub-using-dynamic-woofer.html

I will get some sheets of mdf/plywood and make two baffles with two woofer on each. I will make som arrangements so I can combine the two baffles, and try different topologies in my own room, and measure the in room response three og four places in the room.

For the Mark Audio full ranger, I will make a similar test baffle, so I can try out both dipol and omni open baffle.

Basically I know that the near corner placement gives me some challange, but I still would like to try open baffle simply because I have never tried it before.

Last edited:
I have also come across open baffle corner sub's on linkwitz's page, but there are so many more or less well documentet open baffle constructions out there.

Basically I know that the near corner placement gives me some challange, but I still would like to try open baffle simply because I have never tried it before.

While your'e at it, don't miss these corner dipole solutions. Didn't really work for me, but may highly depend on the individual room situation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.