Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Why are OMNI speakers not more popular?
Why are OMNI speakers not more popular?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2017, 11:31 AM   #951
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
Bs or not it's no longer fun for us. Can't tweak the amp & dsp is involve
it can't be tweaked but perhaps it can be cloned
Old 7th December 2017, 03:30 AM   #952
jerryrigged is offline jerryrigged  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Merry Pre-Xmas & HNY '18 -Jumping the Calendar (Safer than the shark...)>

Hi y'all...*G* 'Stopping by' to 'splain self, and to 'push the pages'...

Still 'out here'....been preoccupied with RL work and personal medical issues that needn't be gone into....(*L* Book and movie rights available cheap...)

Spouse claims I've too many speakers around (...but allowed me to score a pair of nearly mint Maggies'....go figure....*G*) so I'm working toward 'thinning my flock'...

...and (of course) replacing them with the next versions (Yes, plural..), thereby starting the whole cycle again...

...which, of course, is subject to my RL work (...one of which takes 'us' to TX in 3/'18 for +/- 1 month, another pending in KY that's....BIG....*G*)

(Attached is a RL job that's about to 'wrap' near Chapel Hill, NC. That's a fish play structure, awaiting it's metal pipe 'fins'...currently being powder coated...36' long, 45' with it's tail...206 CNC 'rib segments....)

So...Stand By for 2018. I've got....Plans....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SMGa Maggies.jpg (98.8 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg 20171126_144007.jpg (1.15 MB, 406 views)
Old 18th February 2018, 09:58 PM   #953
diyAudio Member

High Strength 3D Printing – Markforged

...among the 'plans' pursued....3D printers may be the answer to the desire to 'fax me a beer'....as long as the container prints first....
Old 19th February 2018, 07:41 AM   #954
Sparrowlegs is offline Sparrowlegs  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've been following this thread on and off for a while now. Going back to the original question - "Why are OMNI speakers not more popular?", it's simple, but maybe a misconception (at least in my eyes!).
Point source audio reproduction has been the mainstream as it's deemed to be as true as the mic's making the recording. Okay, take away the fact that you'll never know how the mics were aligned; A/B Stereo Recording, X/Y Stereo Recording, ORTF Stereo Recording, etc etc!
And lets not get into everything in between; sound engineers, equipment etc.

I love Omni's, dam I've been building them for over a year now and finally yielding some amazing results. My view is this - I like a more dynamic sound which this design leads too. Last Friday my girls took part in the school recital, instruments playing included the piano, flutes and acoustic guitars. These instruments aren't producing sound from a point source. The sound resonate in 360deg's.
Okay, for the naysayers, I get that music is usually recorded with a mic, so the ambiance is lost, but at least an omni is one way of trying to recreate this.

Though my designs are now starting to morph into the realms radialstrahler, I'm please with the results.
An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 19th February 2018, 07:44 AM   #955
Sparrowlegs is offline Sparrowlegs  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Tweeter -
Old 19th February 2018, 01:47 PM   #956
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Those look very interesting. MBT is the only other design I've seen like that.

They also look difficult to build. Getting a working combination of motor and material compliance must involve a lot of experimentation.
Old 8th May 2018, 09:32 AM   #957
diyAudio Member

Default ....back from the shadows, again....

Hi, y'all....and, Yes, it has been...a While....

..*ehhh*...about when Sparrow posted pics 'n plots of his latest 'n greatest....and Don, absolutely right. I've had the pleasure of following and being impressed by Davids' 'summer project'....

Summer Project - Replication of MBL loudspeaker 101mkII

....all I can surmise is that 'summer' by the time frame involved isn't the one we generally experience.......but I digress as usual...

Anyway... our 12 yr. old business was looking at our best 'start' of any year in terms of 'booked projects', keeping us occupied into May '18.
As of Now...we're into Sept....and still getting queries...
The only 'down side' I'll register to those who ask:
"Hows' it going with being retired?"

Hadn't noticed, actually....other than 'free time' seems to have vaporized. Not a lot of time to play at the things I'd prefer to be mucking about with.

Other than that...we (the 'company' us) can lay claim to having designed, built, and installed the worlds' fastest 6 ton wooden fish.

Prove me wrong if you can....

Too much more until later....lurk y'all until then....
Old 18th May 2018, 10:28 AM   #958
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Italy
diyAudio Member

New kid in town?

BAYZ audio

(amazing...)

Why are OMNI speakers not more popular?Hide this!Advertise here!