Introduction to designing crossovers without measurement

nice reading! it has made me rethink the idea of a zobel on my current project, and possibly a bit of experimentation, just when i thought id wrapped it all up!

Re pink noise......Weems' suggests something similar IIRC, FM radio tuned into white noise, in mono mode. thats the way i check polys, as well as tweak individual tweeter levels, and to centre stereo image location.

Great little post. boxsim and a zobel awaits me!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for putting this together. For someone such as myself at the beginner level this will be a great deal of help especially since some of the other tutorials that I've seen tended to go over my head. My whole problem wasn't so much that I didn't understand the various components it's was more about not knowing what to use, why, and where based on the driver.

Baffle-step response can be flatted out by glueing sound-absorbing foam to the so narrow made baffle as is possible ,the transient response improves as well ,so does sweet-spot and polar patterns,see interference and diffraction under my name for picture

While attaching foam near the edge of the baffle can reduce the ripples in the response (particularly on-axis) caused by baffle edge diffraction, the basic baffle step shift in response of 6dB will always remain regardless of the type of damping material used. All you're doing is getting a little bit closer to the theoretical smooth 6dB shelf response of a sphere, with less overshoot than you might otherwise get with a rectangular baffle.

I'm sure you know that, but some people reading could possibly mistake your comments to suggest that somehow the basic 6dB shift was being reduced, reducing the need for baffle step correction, which isn't the case.

With typical edge radii of front baffles I'd also suggest that foam is only effective above about 2Khz or so, and only at frequencies where the active driver has wide enough (180 degree) dispersion to illuminate the baffle in the first place.

For a midrange driver you would probably get more reduction of baffle diffraction ripples (especially below 2Khz) by simply offsetting the driver a bit, and for a tweeter (which is where the foam would be most effective) you can more or less eliminate baffle diffraction by using a tweeter incorporating a waveguide - on many such designs little or no signal is radiated at right angles along the plane of the baffle so there is nothing to diffract from the cabinet edges at those frequencies.

Whether there is any worthwhile effect depends entirely on the directivity of the drivers - small drivers with very wide dispersion may see a significant improvement, larger and/or directivity controlled drivers won't see any useful improvement in my experience.

Certainly worth trying though.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
If we consider the resistor that is used for attenuating the tweeter (Rs) and the tweeter itself (if we call it Rtweeter for the moment), the total signal voltage (Vtotal) will be found across the series combination of Rs and Rtweeter. The voltage across Rtweeter (Vtweeter) can be found by
Code:
                     R[sub]tweeter[/sub]
V[sub]tweeter[/sub] = V[sub]total[/sub] x -------------
                   R[sub]s[/sub] + R[sub]tweeter[/sub]

The attenuation will be

Code:
            R[sub]tweeter[/sub]
20 x log( ------------ )
          R[sub]s[/sub] + R[sub]tweeter[/sub]

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Reducing the voltage (relative to the total) will bring the tweeter down and it can be expressed in dB. A halving of voltage will reduce the level by 6dB, which amounts to one quarter of the power. This is because the halving of voltage will also halve the current that flows from it.