Introduction to designing crossovers without measurement

This is an often reported phenomena. I'm not sure I agree with it.

Speaker issues are typically more of a problem than recording issues. I'll cite: The Animals, House of the Rising Sun as an example of a recording that includes gross overload. This overload is far greater than many of us would like to accept in a speaker and yet, is capable of sounding reasonable.
I think i know those kind of records you are talking about, Allen.
Mostly they are made using valve equipment and maybe too much alcohol and drugs. Valve preamps can produce even harmonic distortions that sound "good"
because it fits into the content and can even enhance the way your record sounds, if you not overdo it. There were some engineers like Joe Meek who
made his own preamps which would compress and distort hard. As long your speakers don't add too much 3. harmonic distortions, this can still sound o.k.,
but is fatiguing. I don't like it much, not for long.

I was refering to the fact that a stero setup of high quality speakers will show you a good picture of the room in which recording took place. Because of its abillity of reproducing phase relations between left and right correctly without spoiling everything with it's own phase errors. When a record has been made using artifficial rooms trying to build up a natural environement and this was not made good, a correct speaker setup is going to unveil this and give you a confusing psychoacoustic sensation. Speakers unable to depicture all details because of linear and nonlinear distortion will mostly sound 'o.k.' also if the record is bad.

Can you please help me uppon crossover wiring on drivers? Drivers are 2 bass, 2 mid, 2 tweeters each 8 ohm and crossovers are from 4 ohm speakers respectively Heco Ascada 770's! Thank you!

Attachments

• P1030164.jpg
    P1030164.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 687
  • P1030163.jpg
    P1030163.jpg
    726.4 KB · Views: 670
OK! I have two speakers and each has 2 basses 2 mids 2 tweeters and I want to have them linked to my crossovers that are from Heco Ascada 770 Speakers! I Wanted to make a replica of pioneer Karaoke speakers CS-V50F and got so far yet! Bass are 20 cm kevlar 35-3000hz, mids are monacor sp 60/8 and tweeters are Dibeisi silk dome tweeters 2500-20000Hz, 92db/1w/1m. Here you have a pic of the original speakers and of mine at this moment!

Attachments

• Vietnam Pioneer CS-V50F_3.jpg
    Vietnam Pioneer CS-V50F_3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 641
  • P1030886.jpg
    P1030886.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 628
So you have available coils for 2-3 mH /series woofer low pass
and other material ...
I would reduce the number of the tweeters.
And cross the mid very low.

It goes by itself that only the bass box is ok ( by now), otherwise everything
has to be re-engineered / designed from the roots !
If you can design the bass box in order to have the top free, to position the speakers

Last edited:
The boxes are the ones made on the left with the drivers bass and tweeters already mounted into them! They total height is 118cm. I am already listening to music onto them, i guess the tweeters would have burnt already if they were linked on the mid part. I hear no anty-phase lack of detail in music constructing components so that a chello would be missing or anything else of so such mather. The woofers I have linked by now in paralel so that o it gives 4 ohms and further to the crossover on only one line of the bass plus to plus and minus to minus! Tweeters the same to the part on the left of the mid/highpass crossover as I think that is the tweeters parton the crossover! On the crossover I do not remember how I have linked them two togheder to the crossover wire and that is plus to minus.
Now the crossovers linking to the speaker output I did so: bass i have tested with a battery for for phase inversion and enstablished that Yellow/Black is minus and Black is plus.
On the Mid/high section I took red/white as minus and white as plus.
So, going on now to be ending my story, finaly, I linked plus from bass to plus on the speaker wire and you gusssed it minus to minus on the speaker wire and further minus from mid/high Crossover to minus on the speaker wire and plus from the same as before to the plus on the speaker wire.
They sound ok how they are linked now!

This project is difficult to be honest.
It starts with the cabinet. If you did it in one peace, I mean the inner volume is not divided, so you are going to run into severe problems. First is the standing wave at 150 Hz and 2. harmonic of it. You will have to fill the volime good with absorbant material. Maybe you know that and allready did.
Then this large of a sidewall will move and this movement will use power of your speakers.
So before even thinking of a crossover there are those things to sort out.
Then midrange. Probably you will get too much sensitivity from the 2 Monacor
compared to the woofers. That means you will have to put resistors in.
Be careful with the impedance of the whole filter-speaker system.
Then like someone allready said, two tweeters are a problem, they will disturb each other and sound less exact than one of them. The only thing you can do is put them together vertically but really close.
This project is a waste of money and time, if you just improvise.
You have to follow the most important rules if you want this to become
a system you like listening to.
3-way without meassuring is not easy.
Even a simple setup with a cheap microphone and using a laptop soundcard and
some freeware meassuring programm will help you see what is happening at the crossoverpoints when you change components.
After that is right, use your ears.

Here is an immage of what i have done! Now when the wires come out plus and minus for the mid and high i don,t know really witch is plus and witch is minus but I took 2 things in consideration to go with this till the end: 1. component positioning, 2. wire color coding for plus and minus. This is as close as I could narrow it down and I say it is preety good for what I have done!

Attachments

• Cs point.png
    Cs point.png
    34 KB · Views: 524
Last edited: