Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Introduction to designing crossovers without measurement
Introduction to designing crossovers without measurement
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2019, 09:04 AM   #651
iperno is offline iperno  Italy
diyAudio Member

Can I use the first-order filter (inductance only) for the woofer or do I have to provide a second-order filter also for him?
Old 21st March 2019, 10:23 AM   #652
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sometimes an inductor by itself does not work. The driver impedance has inductance from the voice coil so another inductor needs help. Better to add an RC, or even just a C.
Old 24th March 2019, 10:04 AM   #653
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi Allen
Thank you so much for creating this tutorial thread. Yes am a newbie to speaker building.
I've got this JBL 2432H compression driver fitted with a RCF 94H CD horns. Looking into testing it out at 630hz with 2nd order XO. Issue at hand is the data for the compression driver is nowhere to be found. All I know is the fs is 500hz. The horn itself is also design to load the driver down to 500hz. All that I can find is someone over at AVS forum has taken some measurements. Would appreciate your kind advice pls.

Thank you
Old 24th March 2019, 09:12 PM   #654
diyAudio Member

Can you measure the voice coil with a multimeter? You can see if it is an 8 ohm driver. The meter should say 6-7 ohms. Maybe this is written on the back of the driver?

A compression driver has a larger impedance peak, especially when used with a horn that is loading to fs. There may be other concerns with both the loading and size so I think maybe this horn is better crossed higher than 1,000Hz.
Old 25th March 2019, 01:57 AM   #655
diyAudio Member

Hi Allen thank you. Measured resistance is 4.9 & 5.1 ohm.
Old 25th March 2019, 08:07 AM   #656
diyAudio Member

Try 8 ohms. The second order filter should be OK with it to start.

Listen for too much output at 500Hz. This can sound like you put your head into a cardboard box. There may be different reasons for this but you can increase the crossover frequency, or even try a different filter.
Old 25th March 2019, 08:25 AM   #657
diyAudio Member

Thank you again Allen further research think I try 4th order xo instead to be safe.
Problem is without specs wonder how I could start with a ball park figure for a RCLC to flatten impedance. New learning curve for me so pls forgive me if I ask stupid questions.

Cheers
Old 25th March 2019, 08:31 AM   #658
diyAudio Member

Btw Allen assuming that my driver has a sensitivity of 100 db,
what is the insertion lost between say 1st order vs 4th order XO ?

Thank you again
Old 25th March 2019, 08:49 AM   #659
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
RCLC to flatten impedance.
The impedance peak with a compression driver can be steep and complex, maybe a double peak. If you work without measurement you could use RLC to remove the peak in a chunk, or maybe reduce below 8 ohms. If that sounds OK.

If you want to fix it completely, you can use measurements. Sometimes you need 2 RLC for this.
Old 25th March 2019, 08:53 AM   #660
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
Btw Allen assuming that my driver has a sensitivity of 100 db,
what is the insertion lost between say 1st order vs 4th order XO ?

Thank you again
The insertion loss is 0dB for both types of filter in the passband. After this, the inductors have some resistance which has only a small effect. Both types of filter are usually used to -6dB at the cutoff because it works best with most speakers.

Introduction to designing crossovers without measurementHide this!Advertise here!