Introduction to designing crossovers without measurement

That's an interesting thing you bring up. While the photograph I produced has cheap cell phone lens distortion, the distance between the 2 drivers is 1cm.

However.

I have considered replacing the 4 inch Audax with a Morel 5 inch. I would like the increased power handling and a touch more bottom end from the larger driver. I am considering the Morel CAW 538.

http://solen.ca/wp-content/uploads/CAW538.pdf

Dear Companion Allen B:I would like to ask you (to clarify) and specially to you, there is a lot of encountered opinions about the measurement of Thiele-Small parameters but ( I have to be sensible.there is a lot of opinions stating that small level signals, are unproper, and not reliable, others present "papers" expresing concisely that the real idea of the work of this two remarcable persons (Thiele and Small) stands basically on small signals, would you please "clarify this for me, and others?, Thanks in advance Mr Allen B, and also thanks for your work about Designing crossovers without measurement, A masterpiece, for me an many others...

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
My understanding is that a speaker is well behaved at low levels. In cases where the voice coil is running hot, and also when the cone is running close to its excursion limit, the results may be compromised.

Since neither of these cases are 'normal' it makes sense to deal with those separately, and to take the measurements at a level within the limits. The results should be the same at different levels within these limits, but if you take them at extremely low levels you'll also have to contend with the noise limits of the test equipment.