A damn fine home made boombox!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay so,

My friend and I planned a project leading up to the last day of school (Year 11) and we as per usual with anything school related left it to the last few weeks (Two in this case). So it was a frantic buy the wood, cut a quick mock-up of the front panel, see what needed to be bigger/smaller/wider etc and then get going on the real thing.

The whole thing took around 9-11 man hours to make, faced with many problems as it was our first time doing something like this, but we still managed to get it done at 10:23 the night before our last day at school.
We used a little lean over trolley to transport it down to the school, around 2 miles from my house and then hooked up the car battery in my friends bag as he walked by my side while the tunes were playing, we had around 150 maybe even 200 people from our year dancing, drinking and shouting behind us. We were leading the parade with the box, was a brilliant feeling, until the fuse blew half way down the road and we realised we had none spare, so a "quick" run off to the nearest garage and got another 3 or so fuses. (25-30 Amp fuses).

My friend and I were both incredibly surprised with the battery life of this thing, we had it in a park after school and it lasted a good hour or two there!

Unfortunately at the park some pikey kid came along, we don't know who and kicked in both of the tweeters, so it was a dash home to take off the top and put them back in, this time with an excessive amount of glue as the plastic screw fitting had been snapped, and ready for the party later that night.

The system continued to impress later that night by giving us yet another two and a half hours of runtime with no sign of the battery even beginning to die on us!

The speakers were a huuuuuge success in our year group, sounded fantastic outside, produced fantastic bass out and twice as good inside!

The Subwoofer was concealed inside so's not to blow the other speakers, and to create a close to perfect space for the sub to be concealed in and give us more bass. We used a 2.5" port hole above it which seemed to do us well! Everything inside the box was sealed with mastic and stuck with PVA as well as being screwed.

cannon emphasise the importance of making/purchasing a decent guard for the speakers, already got a few dents/scratches on the guards!

Overall the final outcome was far better than we ever imagined it to be, which has made us incredibly proud and happy! Hope to take it to many a party after the last one!

Here are some quick specs on the system -

12V 35AH Led Acid car battery (Separate from the box)
Wood used - 3/4" Spruce ply
AMP - 840 Watt Coustic CS200 -
Coustic C200 4 channel amplifier - C200 from Coustic

Sub - Boss IAudio 10" 600W4-OHM subwoofer
Mid - In Phase XTW6 240W Mid Bass speakers
Tweet -
In Phase 200W XT1 Silk Dome Tweeter

And a few pictures -

We got our year to sign the speakers for memories, will lacquer it soon as possible!

Attachments

• 20110521_2.JPG
    20110521_2.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 547
  • 20110521_4.JPG
    20110521_4.JPG
    268.3 KB · Views: 511
  • 20110521_5.JPG
    20110521_5.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 503
Why do people go around and kick stuff in? Just don't get it.... jealousy perhaps. I know what you mean, my sub still gets drink spilt on the top of it at uni, yet its neatly tuck away away under a desk in the corner.

If you build another one next time, well this is what I was thinking; is that attach the top panel 'on' top of the sides rather than 'in'. Just in case anyone tries to stand on it, would probably abit stronger. Just a thought.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.