how to get tight bass with little overhang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have decided to completely rebuild my loudspeakers, and have:

Seas Excel Millenium tweeters;
Seas W22 ex001 bass/mid units

I am umming and ahhing about going three way.

notwithstanding my driver complement, I've had a diet of yamaha Ns1000m speakers that have low distortion and super fast transients. one of the best things is that the bass is very tight and taught with little or no overhang.

I've heard quite a few other speakers - planer types, horns, etc. the most common being bass reflex ported designs. With the possible exception of some adam audio tensor active speakers, they all seem to suffer 'to my ears at least' a sort of timing lag or overhang.

do other people find this to be the case with ported designs? Or am I gonna have to go the sealed cabinet route?

please give me your thoughts, views, and experience.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I'm using a 12" in closed
and calculated specificly for a smooth rounded roll off
seems to work
nice crisp bass, and deep enough
and woofer is barely moving
and none of the usual boom boom sound on new recordings
I cant't listen to boomy sound for very long
I hate that as much as no bass, or thin sound
its more about the right balance, than plus minus a few herz

but most woofers seems to be designed with BR in mind
there's more prestige in very low frequency bass

I've heard people argue that ported bass sounds really good to them, but no matter what your taste, it takes some time to load up the acoustic reactive network. At least the first half cycle out of the port, at the port tuning frequency, is out of phase with the woofer, and when the woofer stops, the port keeps going for a bit. There's no way to fix that and still get all the frequency response / efficiency benefit of a port. If you're sensitive to bass timing, just avoid them.

my opinion is in a system if you have enough bass with sealed boxes that will be the best option ( if drivers allow ). i run an active setup with seas woofers, visaton mids and fountek ribbon tweeters , and a JBL250p self amplified sub . After i covered the sub port bass is much tighter , and i only use 20% of the sub amp power , bass is more then enough and still lot of power available if needed. I use cambridge audio amp for bass , arcam for mids and tube amp for tweeters.I also use a tube preamp.the sub and woofers overlap until 80 hz , after 80hz it´s just woofer , and the sound is very tight never boomy or muddy.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.