how do I cure treble harshness/hash

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My original post I think sets it out. The problem with it is that the treble is harsh and messed up - so to speak.

I would rather have to re-do the crossover, than build a whole new cabinet, coz I spent a long time making the cabinet.

If it is a cabinet issue, I may go and put together the linkwitz orion speakers

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm only thinking about the ways that a cabinet could cause such an issue. You may have a problem with diffraction, only guessing without a photo. You shouldn't need to actually rebuild it. Have you tried covering the front face with felt?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
do not overrate diffractions

ofcourse it matters
but its really a minor detail
only makes a real good speaker slightly better

I put my head on the block and say that it has very little to do with your harsh sounding top
tweeter faceplate can cause harshness
especially the transition from diaphragm to faceplate is a major problem

hell, I haven't even countersunk my midrange, even knowing I should
but it still sounds good
on the other hand, I have done a lot to cure the tweeter transition 'problem'

the closer you get to the driver diaphragn, the worse diffraction issues are
but it is true that a bit of felt might cure some of your harshness, even if its caused by your XO

also notice that I have used felt behind mid and woofer, and also inside the baffle hole
small details, and probably only makes a small difference

well, I'm only trying to say that we often focus on the easily cured, and forgetting the more important

Attachments

• IMG_4532 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4532 (Large).JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1514 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1514 (Large).JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2996 (Large).JPG
    IMG_2996 (Large).JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 97
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.