help understanding a crossover...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:confused:
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://swanspeaker.com/products/kits/m1kit/m1c.html
----------------------------------------------------------------
In the crossover noted above, what is the function of the 4.7ohm resistor and the 2.4uf cap? I am building a similar x-over for similar drivers, and I just don't understand what those two components do. I originally thought that the cap was part of a 3rd order dividing network, and the resistor was part of the attenuation network, but neither fit into the formulas for either of those purposes... I am very confused...please help!

Ok I'm not 100% sure but this is what i think.....

the woofer has a 2nd order lowpass network....

the tweeter has a 2nd order high pass made of the 3.3uF capacitor and 0.65mH inductor..... the 4.7ohm resistor in parallel then form a contour network to counteract the rising response as frequency falls then the 15ohm resistor in parallel with the tweeter just helps do a final bit of response shaping to provide a smoother overall response.

well thank you for your input, i am just going to buy a lot of resistor and small cap values and expirament a little... i am using the hi-vi F6 and RT2C-E, basically the larger versions of the two drivers in that crossover so i want to follow it a little.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.