any opinion on the dayton 7" aluminum woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, low sensitivity it has. I personally would not use that in my own system. I've had 87dB. and 88dB. sensitive speakers, 87 is my minimal choice. I wonder if PE has an aluminimum woofer with an inverted dustcap? Sort of like the woofers used in the Bowers and Wilkins products.

I would venture to say that an inverted dust cap adds more to looks than anything. In fact it may have less surface area than a traditional convex cap, since it follows the contour of the cone more closely.

I doubt the effects would be anywhere as great as a phase plug versus a dust cap.

I have actaully been very interested in these drivers as well. I wanted to do a small linkwitz transform project, and I figured the aluminum cone would handle the internal pressure better than some of the more flimsy polypropylene or paper drivers in this price range.

Although it sits right about the same with the dayton 8" woofer as far as price.

Also that new Euro one they have looks pretty good too. extrememly low Qts (0.29!) @ $36

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.