No love for the Zaph Audio SB 12.3?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking hard about the Zaph Audio SB 12.3 - but have not been able to find any reviews on them?

I would say its definitely a speaker that does not get built often and is by no means popular within the DIY community - its hardly even discussed. - any particular reason? Are their better options for that price?

I bet they sound great.

I'm curious how they sound compared to the classic Acoustic Research AR9s, as those are my only experience with really big, high output speakers. Both are monsters but I'm curious if anyone with some technical expertise can detail if Zaph's design has advantages or is flat out superior in anyway to the ARs.

I bet they sound great.

I'm curious how they sound compared to the classic Acoustic Research AR9s, as those are my only experience with really big, high output speakers. Both are monsters but I'm curious if anyone with some technical expertise can detail if Zaph's design has advantages or is flat out superior in anyway to the ARs.

I'm sure they sound great as well. I really liked Zaph's SR71 (now sold). Just wanted to try something a little bigger and my budget is $1000+/-. These (SB 12.3) came up while I was browsing for DIY kits - but there are no user comments out there about them - hence, thats the only reason why I have not purchased the kit already. Maybe I'm missing something?

Well, here it is August and I'm finally making some headway on my Zaph 12.3's. I have built these speakers in my head at least a hundred times. It helps me drift off to sleep. Anyway, all the pieces are cut to dimension, and the holes have been routed out for the speakers. I did a dry assembly and all is fitting well. I complicated the construction process by rabetting all the joints making for a very tight seal and strong construction. I had to adjust all the dimensions to accommodate the rabett joints. I'm using 3/4" baltic birch for all except the front panel and the bottom of the box. For those pieces, I had originally found some 1" oak plywood, but didn't like it, seemed too light weight. I found a 1 1/8" thick particle board sold as a shop bench top at my local DIY. I have a pair of KLH 5's that I bought new in 1972 that are constructed entirely of particle board. They are almost 40 years old and still sound wonderful (new caps and sealed). I would not build anything with drywall (MDF) again. The plan is to veneer the finished assembly. I will post more as I progress.

Last edited:
The tight spacing demands for M-M and M-T to minimize lobing require 4" - 5" midbass, tightly butted to a small diameter tweeter. Even the inventor Joseph D'Appolito's latest speakers are T-M-W topologies. The smart kids with good hearing are choosing alternative higher efficiency T-M-W designs.

Cabinet style is also important.

Attachments

• MTM_style.png
    MTM_style.png
    94 KB · Views: 456
  • SB12_3.jpg
    SB12_3.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Sorry, abandoned project

Basshunter, here. I commented some time ago of my anticipated 12.3 build. My appologies to all, for I abandoned the project for several reasons. For one, my interest turned to the Zaph ZDT3.5 which I built and am enjoying immensely.
I think the 12.3 would be a great sounding speaker, and I still have some interest, however, as pointed out in an above comment, there are equalivent sounding speakers out there that just LOOK better. I wrestled with changing the style, but a sixteen-plus inch-wide baffle doesn't leave much room for creativity like curved sides or the like, and the baffle dimensions cannot be changed easily. I may decide to do something with it in the future. If so, I'll start a new thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.