18" + WAVEGUIDE - 2 Way Bass Reflex 'THE VERSATILE' Loudspeaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You are wanting to build a two way, you are interested in a large driver, you want the woofer producing midrange, and you are interested in just where it beams. So far so good. If you then want it to have a low resonance frequency, you place restrictions on your choices. Low resonance drivers may be built with differing priorities, and may have lower sensitivities, for example.

Yep...

The Eminence Sigma Pro 18A-2 seems to tick the right boxes.

What do you think ?

Cheers

Simon

Have you seen these ones?
PMC Ltd

I know they are just 15" but they do go low and loud enough!

Hi CD

Only 63 Kg is that all...pah...might get blown away by a strong gust if used outdoors.

Can't you find something more substantial, like the reactor in the Red October.

I won't be inviting you to my garden party if you need an AK47 to kill flies !

Cheers

Simon

I would never use an AK47 to kill flies, I'd use a main battle tank.
Yet to come across an insect that withstands a direct hit, the downside is just a wee bit of collateral damage! For some reason my neighbours are none too friendly anymore since I killed my last fly.
You could make a t/l for an 18" but that would be almost the size of the aforementioned tank. It'll probably kill flies too…

Can you define the relationship between good bass response and resonance frequency?

Hi 454Casull

I'm not sure I understand the question or definition you want, but...

I was looking for a speaker resonance of lower than 30 Hz, as I would like the speaker to reproduce a clean pure (essentialy near sine or square etc) wave at 30 Hz (the low B zero, third note on a piano, 5th bass guitar string), as well as music program material and harmonics to a high quality in the whole spectrum.

The Sigma Pro 18A-2 resonance is reasonably well down at 28 Hz, the resonance of a typical compression driver in a waveguide might be 500 Hz and is therefore cut out by a suitable crossover at say 2K Hz.

The Eminence 'Lil' Buddy tm.' discused earlier in the thread has a deliberatly high resonance at 149 Hz (right at the centre of a guitars range) as guitar players often like speakers that are anything but flat, for their 'character'.
This speaker would probably sound VERY wrong with normal music program played through it.

Good bass response in my opinion is about having a cone & magnet big enough to deal with it, and how you can exploit that by designing a cabinet so it may operate at it's (always imperfect) best.

Does that make sense ?

Cheers

Simon

Eminence Cabinet Design Software

Can you define the relationship between good bass response and resonance frequency?

Anyone who's interested in checking out potential boxes for the 18" Eminence Sigma Pro can use the design program available from their web site.

Rotten bad stinking eggs to the management at Eminence for having the nerve to charge loads of $$$$$'s for a piece of simple software that's only of any use to someone who plans to spend mega bucks on their products anyway.

No I don't work for Eminence, I just happen to like the Sigma Pro (if anybody was wondering).

I hope you top brass at Eminence are reading this and soon decide to offer your design software GRATIS as a matter of courtesy to your customers.
Lets face it guys, you've made your money on that now, and it's time to think of your customers, not installing 24K gold taps in the executive john !

HOWEVER...

It just so happens that the free demo version comes pre-loaded with all the data for the 18" Sigma Pro, and allows you to do everything except save, which is no real disadvantage, as the software is so simple anyway.

Without needing to be Albert Einstein (whose birthday it was yesterday).
You can make all sorts of boxes for the 18", add ports, use closed boxes, work out cabinet sizes and volumes etc. and plot all the results on the dB frequency response, impedence etc etc graphing facility and see how it looks in VR (sorry you can't download an MP3 of what it SOUNDS like, if you could it might be worth paying $1 for).

It is lots of fun, and fairly easy to grasp even for a total CAD novice.

So get downloading, and buy loads of Sigma Pro's off the tight a****, they need the cash for executive comfort.

Cheers

Simon

Plenty of free enclosure simulators out there, and working out enclosed volumes is a bit of high school geometry and a few minutes with a calculator.

You could have had it worked out in less time than it took for that silly post.

There are indeed plenty of sims out there, which makes it even more incredulous that Eminence don't see fit to offer a reliable design aid to their customers, pre-loaded with their latest driver data.

Not everyone who wants to make a DIY speaker is familiar with high school geometry, and if you can work out constantly shifting 1:1.6:2.5 ratios & frequency response whilst juggling port lengths & diameters in a few minutes with a calculator then go to the top of the class, I certainly can't.

I know numerous musicians, for example, who make amazing music, and would love to make their own speaker as well; any aid to making an unfamiliar activity more easily achievable should be welcomed with open arms.

I personaly think that the service that diyAudio provides (for free), acts as encouragment and support to experiment, in a way that throwing a credit card on a counter doesn't.

A recomendation to a novice, for example, to try a computer aided design program that is usable by real people not the Einsteins of the world, can only help the DIY community flourish and grow.

As for 'silly post' as you call it, I think customer service for any business which wishes to flourish, is of paramount importance, that should go without saying, out of respect for the customer who at the end of the day is the reason for that businesses existance.

I also find that a sense of humour is often useful in life, cos if yer ain't laughing, yer might just be crying.

Cheers

Simon

There are indeed plenty of sims out there, which makes it even more incredulous that Eminence don't see fit to offer a reliable design aid to their customers, pre-loaded with their latest driver data.
Most of Eminence's customers are corporate, not DIY, and would already have such tools.

Whilst I'm sure they like DIYers buying their drivers, I'll bet they are not willing to do the hand holding required whilst people learn how to design hifi speakers.

Not everyone who wants to make a DIY speaker is familiar with high school geometry, and if you can work out constantly shifting 1:1.6:2.5 ratios & frequency response whilst juggling port lengths & diameters in a few minutes with a calculator then go to the top of the class, I certainly can't.
What's with the ratios? Golden mean isn't needed and as most of the geometry involved is simple multiplication, division and really basic trig, if you can't be bothered to find it out yourself, what makes you think you can design a speaker?

All of the rest of it, eg port lengths and air speed Unibox or WinISD will do for you and there are plenty of places to find out how to use them effectively.

I know numerous musicians, for example, who make amazing music, and would love to make their own speaker as well; any aid to making an unfamiliar activity more easily achievable should be welcomed with open arms.
It's a complex subject with a lot of detail and nuance to make something great. No program is ever going to get that for you. All the basic simulators do is basic LF design.

I personaly think that the service that diyAudio provides (for free), acts as encouragment and support to experiment, in a way that throwing a credit card on a counter doesn't.
No argument with that idea, but it's already been happening for over a decade, longer on BB's before this place.

A recomendation to a novice, for example, to try a computer aided design program that is usable by real people not the Einsteins of the world, can only help the DIY community flourish and grow.
An Einstein intellect is not needed for LF enclosure design. Specious argument.

One of the really important aspects of DIY, is learning it for yourself. Relying on the assumptions made in a program won't get you very far.

For example, you have written off B&C as overhyped: based upon your knowledge of their drivers, how do you come to this conclusion?

As for 'silly post' as you call it, I think customer service for any business which wishes to flourish, is of paramount importance, that should go without saying, out of respect for the customer who at the end of the day is the reason for that businesses existance.
As I said, most of Eminence's customer base is corporate. In the time you have taken to write out these whinging posts, you could easily have accomplished all of the LF and basic box design of a speaker.

As a bass player myself, XL2 and Hohner B2V, there is little fundamental energy in low B, most of what is heard is 2H and above.

I dare say you should actually find out about hearing mechanisms and actually measure the spectrum before commenting further.

No need to.

Fletcher & Munson did it all for me at Bell Labs back in the 1930s' with pencil and paper.

They obviously didn't want to hang around for another 50 years while the home computer was being invented.

Simon

(my interpretation of their work would be that measuring the spectrum bears little resemblance to how humans hear it)

Attachments

• Fletcher-Munson Curve - Bell Labs 1930's.gif
    Fletcher-Munson Curve - Bell Labs 1930's.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
WANTED compression driver DATA SHEET/PDF - JBL 2414H - part# 342423-002X

Hi DIYer's

Request for assistance going out to anyone who has better luck than me !

Have looked in the obvious and usual places....

....but can't find a datasheet/pdf for JBL compression driver 2414H. :confused:

As a spare for JBL's own monitor line products, maybe there is no datasheet ?

Can't quite believe that though. :rolleyes:

I am sure somebody out there knows the answer to this one. ;)

Cheers

Simon :)

Attachments

• JBL-2414H compression driver.jpg
    JBL-2414H compression driver.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 233
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.