Not so eco Econowave deluxe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I can remember the Stage Accompany ribbon in 12inch cabs reinforcing digital pianos in Yamaha's mega booth in Pro Light and Sound. Certainly in another league for HF. Will the vertical beamwidth of the Beyma tall ribbon make it a bit more ''certain'' for aiming as well? But for the econowave screw on WG, the BMS looks yummy.

Hi Paul,

Those are some really nice baffles for EconoWave speakers, did you use a CNC machine to cut out the flush mounted hole for the waveguide?

I can sling a circle jig so I'm not worried about cutting out the woofer cutout and making that pretty; but I don't know how to attack the waveguide cutout as it's rectangular with rounded corners.

I have the following equipment for my 2-way active EconoWave project on hand

Dayton Audio H6512 6.5" x 12" waveguide (throat junction needs work)
PRV Audio D230Ti-Nd-B
B&C 10NW64

Plan is to cross at apox 1kHz using Harch XO method, or invest in a MiniDSP HD / Open DRC and experiment with FIR X-Over

Woofers will be highpassed at 80Hz to a 12" DLS subwoofer in sealed config

Cheers.

This is a bit of a blast from the past!

Yes - those are CNC routed panels. It makes recesses easy with a nice fit if you get it right. I've often had things come out not quite right the first time where the driver or waveguide is difficult to measure and draw up.

If you are designing your own crossover, keep in mind that the expertise that goes into either active or passive is about the same.

With this one, after some initial active experiments, including with and without the reticulated foam, I designed a custom passive crossover. With this waveguide, I found the foam made a marked improvement, more so than other waveguides that I've tried.

Hi Paul, yes sorry this was a bit of thread mining; but out of all the google searching for what I was looking for your thread was the best when it popped up. Could you kindly point me in the right direction for the reticulated foam idea? I have heard of this used in the car HLCD setups to, if i understand this correctly, decrease some of the reflections between the "horn" walls?

I currently have a few MiniDSP 2x4s laying around which I can use for this project, I have been experimenting with Harch XO "transient perfect" X-Over, on some other projects, with some success.

S. Harsch XO

But I am seriously considering investing in an OpenDRC and experimenting with FIR, as it sounds like it's could be audio nirvana when implemented correctly.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.