Ariel speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All I use is a router and circular saw ( don't rush on any thing ). All the parts from NorthCreek and Homedepot should have all the wood. You do need to design a box for the crossover at the back of the speaker. Wool felt and wool stuffing are difficult to find, I got the wool from Madisound and the felt from a local factory.

Be very careful when cutting the wood, it won't come together with as little as 1/8" of in.

Ariel

Hi all,

I was part of a group that built three pairs of Ariel's and have listened to several others. I have retained three ME-2's on a television. In the smallish room I am using the ME-2's proved to be a much better choice. With my amplification the latest crossover was by far the best choice. My two Ariel's and three ME-2's were all built from Northcreek's premium components (larger inductors, bypassed caps) exceptional stuff and a great company.

I've built using table saw and circular saw with a guide. For accuracy the circular saw was slightly better, provided you take the time to measure accurately. If you can't measure, mark out and cut to within 1/64 inch (0.4mm)or better, do not build this speaker!

The Ariel did some things very well, dynamics however were not its forte.

If you'd still like to make the speakers but dont want to do all of the woodworking, ask your local cabinet maker or woodworking/hardware shop. They can usually cut all or most of the panels you want for less than $60, and you can be positive that all cuts are accurate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.