Best driver for Mid Bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for a recommendation of a mid bass driver to put in a sealed enclosure to augment my planned open baffle build.

I had the 3 way Bastanis Prometheus for many years until recently and used a sealed 12 inch woofer to help the full ranger and now want to try the same implementation but with different drivers. The eminence based woofer powered by a 12 hz roll off plate amp which I believe was a Delta 12L covered between 35 to 150 hz and added fantastic punch sounding kick drum effect which was very unlike low frequency subs I have owned in the past filling a great need when listening to more up tempo music using drums .

Guessing from memory it was in enclosure of about about 20 x 20 x 15" deep.

So in search of a driver for mid bass punch and hoping to use a cabinet not much bigger than this it appears I need a driver that it low inductance, light cone, low Q, short Xmas (correct me if I am wrong).

Appreciate any approvals of any of the following or any other suggestions:

-one of the AE drivers
--a vintage JBL driver
- a vintage Altec driver
-even would reconsider another eminence driver if it betters any other
- and basically anything else

Thanks in advance

There are many...

Looking for a recommendation of a mid bass driver to put in a sealed enclosure to augment my planned open baffle build.

I had the 3 way Bastanis Prometheus for many years until recently and used a sealed 12 inch woofer to help the full ranger and now want to try the same implementation but with different drivers. The eminence based woofer powered by a 12 hz roll off plate amp which I believe was a Delta 12L covered between 35 to 150 hz and added fantastic punch sounding kick drum effect which was very unlike low frequency subs I have owned in the past filling a great need when listening to more up tempo music using drums .

Guessing from memory it was in enclosure of about about 20 x 20 x 15" deep.

So in search of a driver for mid bass punch and hoping to use a cabinet not much bigger than this it appears I need a driver that it low inductance, light cone, low Q, short Xmas (correct me if I am wrong).

Appreciate any approvals of any of the following or any other suggestions:

-one of the AE drivers
--a vintage JBL driver
- a vintage Altec driver
-even would reconsider another eminence driver if it betters any other
- and basically anything else

Thanks in advance

Presently I am using a pair of McCauley 2224 10" Drivers [1] configured MTM for each program channel. For the bottom, a pair of Velodyne HGS-18's [2] are used. This combination works well for me, and will deliver all the "punch" you want, so long as it is in the signal fed to them.

Regards,

WHG

[1] McCauley.com : Products: Components > 6224: Specifications

[2] Product Review

Attachments

• product_shot_62241_212121.jpg
    product_shot_62241_212121.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 737
Joined 2008
Paid Member
best mid-bass

Thanks WHgeiger but probably dont want to go with 18'.

Would like to stick with sealed 12" or maybe 10".

I just wander if some dismiss Eminence just because it is so inexpensive or would I in fact improve on dual punchy 35-150 hz subs by using AE or some vintage offerings like Altec or JBL over Eminence.

The McCauley's he mentioned are indeed 10 inch. His deep bass drivers are the ones that are 18"

Myself, I use the Eminence Definimax series# 4012HO. Superb build, and even though I feel a great value, certainly not cheap. I live in the USA so when I can, I buy USA. I'd also consider AE (Acoustic Elegance). They built my deep bass drivers are are also exceptional.
You'll notice a trend here where it's considered a better approach to use different drivers for deep bass than mid-bass. Works very well, especially driven active. Good luck on your search.

it appears I need a driver that it low inductance, light cone, low Q, short Xmas
The alternate point of view is that when crossed at 150 Hz. the inductance hardly matters; the "light cone" bears only on driver efficiency, and if too light may be prone to breakup; low Q does help keep the box small, but there is a good chance that you'll do lf response adjustment in the amp anyway; and short Xmax simply limits your maximum SPL . . . which, with a relatively small driver, may not be what you want. So most of the "requirements" you list come down to driver efficiency, or a need to use a smaller amplifier. Is that really what is driving your design?

Dwardh Well I suppose what is driving my design is the fact that I had such great results with the Eminence which sounds very different than a Rythmik servo that I also have with both in relatively small boxes. I guess I am trying to get a handle on what makes an ideal 35-150hz design and best driver for it again wanting to stick with 12" or maybe 10"

The Rythmik is the opposite in design from the Eminence that being with the Rythmik coming from the max xmas school of subs. I like the Rythmik but only for 25-50hz. On the other hand he eminence gives a nice knocking sound that sounds great with drums and can fill in open baffle that drops off around 150hz. So I am thinking if I stick with something like the Eminence than it should lead me on the right path. I am not sure if the AE, or vintage JBL Altec woofers lean more towards the Ryhmik or the Eminence.

Scott L I guess I misunderstood whgeiger's set up and gets makes me curious if 10' might actually be better for what I'm looking for. Regarding your Definimax would you recommend that over there other products such as Alpha and Delta?

great results with the Eminence which sounds very different than a Rythmik servo that I also have
I think it's likely that the difference that you hear has more to do with room placement or a response bump around 60-80 Hz with the Eminence (in a small box) than the other characteristics you mentioned. If that's what you want (a response bump and rapid rolloff at the low end) then something like the Eminence will give it to you. You could get the same thing in a woofer that goes lower with a bit of equalization . . .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.