Pierre Etienne Leon Integrale speakers. Help!

For reasons I won't go in to due to embarrassment, let's say that the combination of a couple of beer with a buddy, a Santana album and djembe drums spelled disaster for my 90s era PE Leons. A resistor in one crossover had burned and after taking the crossovers to a local shop for repair, the speakers have not sounded the same since. All crossover parts have been replaced with identical to original, though I am not sure that they were wired correctly. Some years ago the manufacturer sent a schematic for similar speaker he makes (why not my speaker I'm not sure) to the distributor here in Canada (who has sadly since gone out of business) who forwarded the schematic on to me. Wired as per that diagram but no luck. All drivers are in good working order.

Does anyone know these speakers or someone who owns them? Need to know how they are wired inside. PE Leon won't reply to my email/phone messages. Guess the $5000 I spent for them entitled me to listen to them but nothing else.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Perry

Thanks for your help Inductor

I'm perhaps overstating the issue. The coils were left intact. The caps and all resistors were replaced, as changing only the burnt resistor and its twin in the other speaker did not help the issue of forward midrange. Thinking that a significant amount of current was flowing through the crossover with the initial incident, I chose to replace the Solen caps and all the resistors (maybe something else had gone out of spec?) to see if that would solve the problem of a very forward midrange in what was once a beautifully balanced speaker. It did not solve the problem and so here I am.

I have not tried reversing the phase of the woofer and mids. I certainly could, though was hoping that since they appear to have been wired according to the schematic sent some time ago from France, that at least the phasing would be correct.

Any further comments you have are most appreciated,

Perry

Perry

Yes Dan they do, and all sound good in isolation, but not with the way the crossovers are currently wired.

The DC impedance at the binding posts is 3.9 ohms, and I'm wondering if the tandem woofers in this speaker should be wired in series rather than parallel. Will try that too once I've attempted the phase change test.

Many thanks,

Perry

Vintage FOCAL Bass-Midrange driver specs

Hope these are readable?

Attachments

• Vintage Focal Bass-Midrange specs A_Page_3.jpg
    Vintage Focal Bass-Midrange specs A_Page_3.jpg
    916.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Vintage Focal Bass-Midrange specs A_Page_2.jpg
    Vintage Focal Bass-Midrange specs A_Page_2.jpg
    853.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Vintage Focal Bass-Midrange specs A_Page_1.jpg
    Vintage Focal Bass-Midrange specs A_Page_1.jpg
    954.8 KB · Views: 110
Hi Ray,

I purchased the set jstlout was looking at. I probably saved him a headache. At some point in time the previous owner replaced the mid driver and located the crossover external to the speakers. I had to refoam the woofers. Now one of the tweeters has died.

Thanks for posting the pictures! They'll come in handy if I need to tweak for a new tweeter.

How do you like it with the mundorf caps?