10'' or 12'' OB coax drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I saw the 10'' Hawthorne coax, and wondered how well it might mate sitting atop my MJK 18'' H-Frame Goldwoods ? Baffle could be up to 24''w x 30''H if need be.. Could they play strong to 70hz or so where the GW drivers come in?

Any other better candidates for a 10" or 12" coax to be run off a 6watt SEP without eq etc?

Has anyone listened to the Hawthorne SI 10'' coax?

Thanks

Specs: Silver Iris OB 10 Coaxial Unit [SI-OB-10] - $160.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

It's an Eminence cast frame driver build to custom specifications for open baffle use. It's available configured with the little Eminence compression driver and also a higher end unit with a Radian compression driver. I've also designed a two-way with the 10" Hawthorne and a B-G Neo3 planar magnetic tweeter. Good stuff!

Hi Dave,

I have never heard the Silver Iris 10" speaker. The small Xmax could limit your dipole options. I ran the 2.3mm Xmax woofer on your 24" wide baffle through Linkwitz's SPL calculator(free on his site) and got the table below estimating a maximum of 92db @ 1m.

Personally, I favor 8" - 10" midrange drivers for dipoles and currently have both the Tang Band W8-1808 (Xmax=5mm) and the Lambda TD10_dipole (Xmax=14mm) on exchangable baffle boards.

SILVER IRIS 10" WOOFER SPECs: 2.3mm Xmax
Heavy cast frame basket • 2" voice coil • Power handling: 150 watts RMS • Impedance: 8 Ohms • System Sensitivity: 94.2 dB 1w/1m • Le: 0.78 • Re: 7.80 Ohms • Qt: 0.68 • Vas: 79.1 liters • Xmax: 2.37MM • Fs: 54.3Hz • Magnet weight: 38ounces

Freq dipole
Hz dB SPL
25 65
35 74
50 83
71 92
100 101
141 110

Greets.

In passing, does anyone have any experience / opinion regarding the Eminence Beta-10CX which is available in Australia for about AU$250 each (A$ and US$ near as equal at the moment) or the Beta-12 CX which is the same price?
This include the throat adapter and an APT50 compression driver.
Nothing is cheap in OZ......
:(
I am happy to mess around with cabs but would like a solution (actively crossed over) that I can use to try out various things and a decent coax would be ideal.

Regards,
Keith Arnold

p.s. Driver will be tried in a variety of cabs BR/BVR/BLH/MLTQWT/BIB, fullrange and with a sub. Xover will be a minidsp. Fun and research the name of the game......

Last edited:
Ciare HX255 would do bass even lower in large OBs but is not suitable for SE from its sensitivity.
http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/HX255.PDF
with a weak motor that enables 70Hz in OB it's doubtful anyway that this would be possible, unless one would develop something with light diaphragm, for which there is no market in the pro world. And 70Hz with 24" can only be done with U-frame, I don't know whether this is an option for you. You will probably be better off with a normal strong motor pro coaxial and higher crossover point.

Any thoughts on if the 15'' SI version run full range will reach down and blend in well with my H-Frames? I keep the H-Frames at approx 75-70 hz and down..

If anyone here has heard the 15'' SI especially with the newer x-over I'd be interested in hearing the comments whether good or not so good, but keep it to respectful and constructive criticism if any please :cool: It seems like the easiest solution for OB, just plug in and play basically..

I'd rather ask here than join their forum as here is where I mostly visit:)

Here's the specs:

The SI OB 15 is a 15" coaxial speaker that was designed from the ground up to excel in an open baffle configuration. Silver Iris drivers are manufactured exclusively in the USA. Woofer Specifications: • 15" full-range coaxial • Ideal for full-range, near field and monitoring applications in open baffle configuration • Heavy gauge pressed steel basket • 2" voice coil • Power handling: 150 watts RMS • Impedance: 8 Ohms • System Sensitivity: 95.8 dB 1w/1m • Le: 0.70 • Re: 5.77 Ohms • Qt: 0.91 • Vas: 243.9 liters • Xmax: 3.45mm • Fs: 41.8Hz • Magnet weight: 38ounces • Frequency range: 41.8-18k • Crossover network included • Cut out 13.75" • OD 15.25" 1" throat compression driver Specifications: *Power handling: 50 watts RMS (EIA426B specification, 2.5 kHz @ 18 dB) *Impedance: 8 ohms *Frequency range: 2,500-19,000 Hz *Sensitivity: 103 dB 2.83V/1m *Dimensions: 3.5" dia. x 2.42" depth. 1" exit HF screw-on driver, 1-3/8"-18 TPI Aluminum former with titanium diaphragm Recommended crossover: 2.5 kHz, 18 dB/octave Here is the manufactures spec sheet: http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/290-525s.pdf Each Silver Iris OB 15" Coaxial Unit consists of: (1) Silver Iris 15" driver, (1) Eminence ASD1001, high frequency driver and (1) crossover network. A stereo pair would require (2) Silver Iris OB 15" Coaxial Units. Note: The improved HGD-XO is included with this item.

the original SI15 will reach almost as low as a GW1858 in a H-frame - the data below is taken on a 2'x3' baffle

Indoors
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Outdoors aqua-trace (woofer only) in the middle of a yard
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

GW1858 inroom on MJK's recommended H-frame vs an inverted transflex

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.