which 8" driver for DIY build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I'm building a center channel speaker that will go with my kilpsch main speakers. I need help with the woofer selection. My box will be 31 x 11.25 x 19. I will wire these in series to get a 8ohm load. They will crossover at 700hz to the mid. Here is the driver I'm thinking of using.

Eminence Alpha-8A 8" PA Driver | Parts-Express.com

Attachments

• HERESY.jpg
    HERESY.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 273
Use Beta 8 instead

I heard a nicely done MTM that used two Eminence Beta 8s and a compression horn tweeter, crossed at 1.2k. The efficiency of these drivers was so high that a 15W class-A amp was plenty to drive them to very "realistic" levels. Imaging was excellent.

It's speaker #9 on this page, from a recent DIY meeting in northern California:
Meet-Spring2010

-Charlie

Thanks for the info! I have klipsch speakers in my home and am looking to add a new center channel. I will use the klipsch type E crossover 700/6000 along with the K-55v mid horn and the K-77 Horn tweeter. The standard K-22 12" woofer was made by Eminence, but the Heresy speaker was too large for my TV stand.

I'm running the my system with a B&K AVR507 so it has plenty of power, but then I do like it loud.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.