Surround Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I finished to design my surrond speakers and I appreciated if some of You give me your opinnion:

2 Way system in sealed box:

-MiddWoofer: 6" Made in Argentina with:
Qms 2.29 / Qes 0.73 /Qts 0.55 /Vas 4.23
-Tweeter: Audax AW010E1

Box volume 8 lt (MDF of 9mm 19x31x17 (WxHxD) with a 3mm MDF with finish foil in cedar colour.
Better than fiber glass..acustic foam...www. sonoflex.com :idea:
I `ll use 35mm with the following coefficient of sound absoption:
125Hz ----0.1
250Hz-----0.19
500Hz-----0.39
1K----------0.82
2K----------0.97
NRC 0.59 (what`s this? :scratch: )

XOP:
-Low pass: first order fc=6Khz, L=172uHy
-Zobel net :R= 8.2 ohms and C= 5.6uF
-High pass: Second order fc=6khz, L=120UHy asnd C=3.3uF

Any comments?

Thanks,
Marcelo

Higo said:
"There is no emotion; there is peace.There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.There is no passion; there is serenity.There is no death; there is the Force."

I won't comment on your 2-way except to wish you luck with it. Other members are better qualified than I am on that one.

I just had to say, reading your signature quote, you haven't been on the forum recently, have you?

As these are surround speakers and need to be directional, I can understand why you're XO at 6 KHz, especially since the mix is done in a studio with special attention paid to the directionality of surround sounds.

But, how will the LF driver handle the freq from 3 to 6 KHz? If it cannot do this well, should you then consider using a 4" LF driver instead?

To correlate with postings in another thread, you seem to be XO at freq that are higher than most factory made speakers, never mind other DIYs. I don't understand, are the tweeters not capable of lower?

:)ensen.

Thanks fot your comments, guys.

Jensen: Unfortunatly my country is not a good market in tweeter area. I mean you can not find good tweeters. I think that I was lucky when I found these Audax. Anyway if you look into the data sheet of Audax you see that they recommended fc at 5khz.. if you need 50w and I have a 80W amplifier :) :) .
I measure the frecuency response of the mid woofer and It has good response beetween 3-5K. Then start some kind of ripple...
Marcelo

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Higo said:
I measure the frecuency response of the mid woofer and It has good response beetween 3-5K. Then start some kind of ripple...

Marcelo

If your driver's response curve starts getting lumpy at 5k then you will need to roll off it's response a lot lower, or use a very high order crossover, or these ripples will come through in the final box response curve.

As for the foam question, some people say that a box can be overdamped if damping is put on every wall. I personally have never had this problem, but it's something you can tweak when the boxes are finished. I wouldn't worry about it for now, just get as much as you need, and any extra left over at the end could be saved for another project. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.