Crossover design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone.

I am currently planning to make a new set of loudspeakers.

I finished making my first set about 8 months ago

Link:
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/ffania/leftside.jpg
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/ffania/rightside.jpg

One of my major problems is designing the crossover, the crossover in my loudspeaker now is a pre-made one (which limited my selection of drivers.)

I have a rough idea on the drivers:

Vifa XT25TG30-04 1" Dual concentric tweeter.
either Scans-peak 13M/8636-00 or 12M/4631G00 Midrange.
21W/8554-00 or 21W/8555-00 woofer.

I have sketches on the enclosure, although i dont have a scanner nor CAD software.

All separte enclosures (3 different enclosures stacked on top of each other)

Now where do i start in the process of designing the crossover?

I look at the specs of the drivers and i can honestly say i know what about 40% of the specifications actually represent.

The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook (6th ed.) is available from Jaycar Electronics. It's a bit overpriced at AU$90, but the Fifth Edition is still available for only AU$40. There is nothing significantly different between the two books, especially in the technical stuff.

Ray Alden's Advanced Speaker Designs (for the hobbyist and technician) is a better introductory book. The LDC is about as simple (but more technical) as it gets when it comes to speaker design. Engineering mathematics, circuit analysis and design and acoustics comes into play if absolute audio reproduction is the goal.

.... Or you could let software do it all for you: FRD Group :D

Cheers,
Isaac

bets. said:

I have a rough idea on the drivers:

Vifa XT25TG30-04 1" Dual concentric tweeter.
either Scans-peak 13M/8636-00 or 12M/4631G00 Midrange.
21W/8554-00 or 21W/8555-00 woofer.

That's a fairly expensive list of drivers. My gut feeling as that you would be better served by buying the Meausring Loudspeakers book by Joseph D'Appolito and something like LSPCad Pro and getting the measurement functionality up and running. Play around with that for a while...then buy your drivers.

It will be difficult for you to get the most out of those drivers without a combination of measurments and listening...listening alone will probably not do the job right.

Scott

What I would do if I was you (and what I going to do next time :) )...

I have read the loudspeaker coocbook and I have LSP Cad std., it is a very good idea to read some about crossover filters to learn how they work before you begin design your speaker of a filter.
If you want to make a good filter you need good software, there is a lot on the marked and a search on the forum properly would help you to find a lot of them.
To make a good filter you need to measure the frequency curve and the impedance curve, you can put these in the software (if they are in the right file format) and then you can make a very good crossover filter. Then you put the filter you have simulated on your pc together and measure if it is what you expected. If it¡?s not what you expected you make some chances to fix the problem. Now is the problem that the measure equipment is very expensive if you want good reliable stuff, not something you buy to make two or three speakers ?fi. In Holland we have a number of DIY speaker shops where they can measure your speakers for you and you can use the results to design your filter.

Maybe this can help you whit your problem

PS. Special tip: Put the simulation software on a laptop and take it with you when you have measured your speakers (in the morning). When you have the files you go sit somewhere and design your filter, while listening to some other speakers or so. Perhaps the experts can help you a bit? When you have designed your filter you ask for the components you need and put them together with some wires with crocodile ends (you know what I mean?), witch you have taken from home of course, and connect your speaker to it. That way you can directly measure the result because you are in da place already ?º. If it isn¡?t what you expected you can ask advice and chance it directly, before you have to buy the components. Maybe one afternoon can be a bit short to design a high end filter but for a common 3-way speaker it can be done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.