Help: Soft dome tweeter pushed in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
if its a cloth soft dome, use a pin -- just bend the pointy end a tiny bit to make a bit of a hook. if it's a plastic dome you can also use a rolled up piece of cardboard to fashion a tube and a little suction will pull the dome back!

my oldest son pushed a small "teddy bear" through the port of the first set of reflex speakers I built with KEF B139's -- when I took them apart I found all sorts of kiddie crud --- a zwieback toast, a teething ring, and those mechanical robots which used to be called "transformers" ... it all comes with parenting ... further, he also wrecked the differential of my first Mercedes when he learned to drive.

Be carefil with the vacum. Thats a whole lot of nothing.

I think a 5 HP central vacuum might suck the dome right out of your tweeter.

Ive heard of people using funnels or soda bottles to form vacuum chambers over tweeters and dust caps, and then using lungs or a turkey baster rubber bulb to generate a mild vacuum. In fact, I think I learned of such things on this forum.

Whether or not the tweeter is vented will also affect the required effort to return it to its proper convex contour.

Anyone have an opinion about replacing the 19SD tweeter with a set of Hiquphon OW1?

I have a pair of Ellis 1801 that I will be upgrading the crossover to the latest 1801b version. While I'm at it, I thought about putting my OW1s, whose specs are very similar to the Eton 19SD, in my Eton 11.2 speakers. My fear is my wife will not be so understanding if my experiment fries the OW1 tweeters.

I started another thread on this topic... I will try to fix the one tweeter 1st with tape. I'm just thinking ahead that I might use this as an opportunity to put OW1s on my 11.2.

thanks,

Al

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Sucking without tears

The key point when using a vacuum cleaner is to have your fingers at the end of the hose so that there can never be a complete seal between the hose and the tweeter. A 1mm gap works OK.

And yes, there is a measurable difference between a dented and restored dome.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Vacuumcleaner methods should be the last resort...with a high riskfactor no matter which way you apply it...will take out theat precious tweetie.

In other words, only to be used if you're truly desperate because before you know it you've done more damage than good.

Cheers,;)

I have pulled plenty of domes back out with a vacuum cleaner.
The trick is to disconnect the hose from the vacuum cleaner and turn it on.
Position the entrance end of the hose over the dome with an air gap and CAREFULLY hold the other end of the hose partway into the vacuum cleaner so as to regulate the suction produced.
NEVER allow the full suction to be applied.
If the magnet is detachable, the other method is to remove the magnet and press the dome back out from inside the dome.

Eric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.