DIY loudspeaker cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i built some braided cables based on some cat6 cable. look cool seem to sound fine.

IMG_1962.jpg

Matt

Steve, those look great!

Took forever to get the 5 strand braid down.. spent like 3 hours braiding them and then my fiance comes down when i finish and is like "wow looks good i didnt know you knew how to braid", to which i reply "nope i just learned, it bloody sucked", and she laughs and says "well you should have asked for help I know how to do a 5 strand braid"... blergh, :eek:

Matt

Last edited:
I have seen many threads about the affect of speaker cables over the years. It is a subject that always sparks strong reactions.

I don't understand the science involved, or whether there are any unmeasureable aspects that affect the sound transmission. All I can say is that cables can sound very different.

I have purchased some expensive cables and have had to sell them on, as they made my system sound worse. Both were very cool looking, and I was hoping to keep them.

The first ones were QED Gensesis Silver Spiral (like hose pipe). They made my Kef 104/2 way too bassy for the room that they were in at the time.

The second cables were chinese knock offs of Kimber 8TC. These looked beautiful, and as they were going in a formal room, I wanted something that looked elegant. Somehow they just sounded a bit dull, and some sparkle was missing.

Who knows why, but I was rooting for these, and if they were the same as my existing or better, I would have kept them. This is a fairer test as any. My existing cable remains the same: Simple Silver plated OFC: £5 meter? I think that it is the same as Spirit 240 from Strassacker: Lautsprecher - Boxen - Selbstbau

Last edited:
my humble opinion is not worth much, but I have read a bunch on speaker wire making. The author who made the most sense to me was Allen Wright in his "Cable Cookbook", although this still gets unnecessarily complicated, he does let you know that too.

IMHO cable have capacitance and resistance and are connected to components with these properties to. THEORETICALLY this could form a filter and affect music, but even a poorly made cable probably avoids the audible range. If additional components are added, they are usually passive filters and can help or hurt.

I like to avoid capacitance, so twisted cable may not be my thing. I believe (carefully chosen word) that skin effect means something, that's why I like the "parts express" flat cable I linked to in an earlier post. Lots of parallel thin wires, far enough apart to avoid capacitance and numerous enough to lower resistance may be very good too.

I am curious if with all these twisted cables, anyone has measured capacitance? Maybe the noise rejection of twisting is far more beneficial than any subtle effect of the capacitance?

Cheapest solid core is better than any megabuck nonsense - but your Country Club buddies will say "so you haven´t yet sold your Porsche to get better sound?":rolleyes:

Definetly true. But most folks runs way to thin cables to get the best out if their amps. I used to run 4x12awg to each of the woofers posts, thinking it was overkill. At least that`s what "experts" told me. But then a friend came up with some 4x9awg cables and a new era begun. The thick low resistance solid copper opens up for a calm and full-bodied dynamic sound unlike most hifi-reproduction. And what a 3D!
Later I`ve realised that low impedanse trasistor amps are extremely critical to resistance, in cables or passive filters. Even small tubeamps wakes up with a bit more area, as lokg as it`s massive off corse. Like my friends 2x2,5W 2A3-amp on Klipsh-horns; 9awg massive copper and it acts like a bigger amp.

I`ll mention solid powercables another time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.