Another converted to dipole

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Find attached the photos of my just finished dipoles.

A lot of inspiration has come from the people in this forum, from the Thunderstone forum and of course from Linkwitz, so thank you all very much.

The full range speaker is a Supravox 215 Signat Bicone and is run full range with a PSE el34 amp.

The input for the two 15" woofers is taken at the full range terminals, with 10k series resistence and 1 uF to ground.
The 15" are cheap locally available speakers with Qts =0.4, 99dB, and 6mm Xmax. They perform very well, and barely move.

And guys, you where right, bass is excellent. And surprising.

Thanks again.

Miguel Garcia.
(Convulsive speaker builder Disease Association. Member)

Attachments

• dscf0001.jpg
    dscf0001.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 2,416
Hi Ashok,

I will wait for the drivers to break in, make my measurements and see what eq is needed. Doesn't sound like too much to my ears.

Forgot to mention that the woofers are driven by a 50+50W transistor amp.

The input of this second amp is feeded with the signal taken at the speakers terminals of the full ranger amp throught the RC filter, to compensate for the 6dB dipole rolloff.

Regards
Miguel

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well Done! I like the look. Haven't you always wanted huge woofers? Did you glue up the pieces of wood or do they come in big sheets?
My speakers also have a high quality open baffle full range and less expensive pro woofers. (My woofer is in a box though.
Not surprisingly, this seems to be the formula- expensive full range run open baffle. Cheaper pro drivers for bass.

The only down side is that they end up BIG!!

Dipoles - efficiency??

Miguel,
Do you have any idea what the efficiency of your dipoles would be?
Or, what power is your power amp, and does it play 'effortlessly' without any clipping or stress at higher volumes?
I currently own an 8watt Audio Note Kit One SET amp, and am wondering if this would be enough for your type of speaker. I think I would need something at least 95db efficiency, preferably higher....

I am also very interested in Variac's recent Basszilla speaker he has built, also open baffle driver but woofer in seperate BR enclosure. This uses Fostex 208, but I would imagine the Supravox should be superior....How much does the Supravox cost, and where did you buy it from?

Cheers,

Mark (Australia)

Hi Variac, Chops, spa317 and all,

Well Done! I like the look. Haven't you always wanted huge woofers? Did you glue up the pieces of wood or do they come in big sheets?

The wood was bought as you see it, only glueing sides and bottom.

Agreed, huge woofers are a must. If you survive your wife's reaction on your beautifull looking Basszillas, you should try open baffle on the subs also. Follow Chops threads. You will be amazed.

Thank you Chops for the nice words. In fact it was your enthousiasm with your 15" woofers that finally pushed me in this direction.
And the equalization you are using.

I currently own an 8watt Audio Note Kit One SET amp, and am wondering if this would be enough for your type of speaker. I think I would need something at least 95db efficiency, preferably higher....

The full range speakers are rated 95dB. I am getting all the volume I need out of a PSE el34 delivering some 12Watts.
Note that the woofer are feeded by a separate SS amp.

I am also very interested in Variac's recent Basszilla speaker he has built, also open baffle driver but woofer in seperate BR enclosure. This uses Fostex 208, but I would imagine the Supravox should be superior....How much does the Supravox cost, and where did you buy it from?

I bought my Supravox from the local distributor. Last time I saw the list price was around 300 euro.
Drop a line to www.supravox.fr, and they will tell you if they have a distributor where you live.

I cannot compare the sound to the Fostex. I have not had the chance to listen to 208E. In fact I did not have the chance to listen to my own Supravox before purchase, so it was a lucky bet.
You can read other people's opinion on Melhuish's single driver website.

Regards
Miguel

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was tormented by the decision between the Supravox and the Fostex. I finally went with the Fostex 'cause it was the latest version and looked pretty serious. Also a lot easier to get in the U.S. Dave 10 helped by pointing out that Fostex probably has 100 times the budget of Supravox for research. This doesn't ensure better results, but you probably get more for your money. The build quality of the Fostex's is very high. It would sure be great if someone around here had heard them both and could enlighten us.

Also thanks for the Chops thread reference. I hadn't realized how much he had done in such a short time! Boxes like his really wouldn't be that much bigger than what I have. Then I could have all open baffle. Luckily, my boxes seem to work very well in my room.

Hi Miguel,

Yes, lovely speakers :nod:

Well, your government may close the borders when a British Cruise ship is nearby, but that hasn't stopped me catching your compulsive speaker building disease! ;-)

I have a pair of Goodmans 201 12 inch full-range drivers that I am currently using in open baffles but want to get back some of the low end 'punch' that I had when they were in cabinets (but not that horrible 'shut-in' sound :-( )

As I am on a low budget, I think that some budget woofers should suffice (I suspect that the 201's go a bit lower than the Supravox although I haven't yet measured them). I just wondered how cheap your 15 inch woofers were as we have quite a choice here in the UK.

Do you know the country of origin of your ARC woofers?

Also I wondered if you have done any EQing yet?

Lastly, do you find that the Supravox goes high enough or are you tempted to add a tweeter?

Hi Nuuk,

Lucky guy with Goodmans 210.

The ARP are spanish made PA speakers. Have a look

http://www.musicson.com/html/LM1552.htm

By the time they get to you, the price will be similar to what you can find on UK, but if interested, let me know and i´ll ask for more details, price in UK etc...

I am not planning to add a tweeter to the Supravox, but I cannot hear anything past 16k. No EQ apart form the RC filter mentioned. The Cap is 4uF as of today.

Good luck and keep us posted on your findings.

Miguel

:D thanx Miguel.... should have known if I was following all this I would have paid more attention to it all; at the moment I'm in the experimental stage [ the cheapest possible ] way I have 2 pairs of speaker boxes with removable backs one with 10in woofers and one with 8 in which I am going to experiment with to see what all the fuss is about.... :confused: cheers :) Tomcat

Wel there is obviously (and rightly) a lot of interest in open baffles so for the benefit of UK DIYers, here's what I have found so far by way of suitable woofers.

Widely avaialble are the Emminence Alpha, Beta and Delta 15 inchers. The best deal I found so far was from Maplin where delivery is free and you can buy 5 for less than the cost of 4 (£191)! (Huge group purchase?)

The ones that Miguel uses are available here from a firm called Intersonics but are £53 +delivery (about £20 for 4) + VERY Awful Tax!

I found a few cheapos on the CPC site but can't find any T/S parameters for them so far.

Likewise with the Wharfedale 15 inchers offered by BK electronics for around £43 + Delivery.

And that is it so far in the £50 price range. Pretty pathetic when you see our cousins buying those Pyle woofers for half the price. :bawling:

Quality-wise, I like the Emminence Delta 15LF that have the extra XMAX of 5.5mm), £53 from BK but plus the delivery charges.

Does anybody have any alternative suggestions for these woofers (in the UK)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.