Great Waveguide List

Yes. My own measurement. I was surprised myself. Had them in the garage for a year and never bothered (too skeptical to be that good)

1m, on axis, indoor. 5ms gate. I use them for my dipoles.

What made you finally measure them? Sweet speaker BTW!

Dan, why would you measure at the lip axis?

That's where I wanted my listening axis of the finished speaker.

Dan

Attachments

• wg-showdown.jpg
    wg-showdown.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 2,838
ev hr90 Constant Directivity horn 90 x 40 (Don Keele horn) with an ev dh7 1.4" compression driver, passive lift circuit (resistor paralle with cap, both in series with driver) also with cd-eq in active crossover, 24db crossing at 750hz. I just keep coming back to this system.

015.jpg

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Horns/EDS/HR90 EDS.pdf

33 page pdf, 70's paper by keele on cd horns
http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/PDF/Keele (1975-05 AES Preprint) - Whats So Sacred Exp Horns.pdf

I've wanted to try the 400hz stereo lab horn, but it ain't cheap and I'd read a few posts mentioning beaming.

Defo (here at diyaudio.com) "I used to have a stereo-lab 400hz tractrix horn coupled to an Altec 299 1,4" compression driver. This combo beamed too much for my taste."

Norman

Last edited:

Something is off about those two sets of curves. The first family has very little directivity (spread) plus a pinching together at 3500 Hz. The second group has a very even spread. I don't think a different driver would cause the difference??

In general, could you guys give some info on measurement angles like: "Taken every 10 degrees" (or whatever)?

Thanks

Something is off about those two sets of curves. The first family has very little directivity (spread) plus a pinching together at 3500 Hz. The second group has a very even spread. I don't think a different driver would cause the difference??
Measured w/o baffle looks like, in the first curve, evidencing an apparent diffraction "bloom."

Geddes plots are every 7.5°, as I recall; mine are 5°, typical....

OK, I guess polars aren't everything.

It got mostly good reviews at PE, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything either.

Could you elaborate on your experience?

I put a bunch of them on a baffle (QSC HPR152i, QSC HPR 122i, Dayton 10") and listened to content. I swapped CDs too because I have the different ones and the Dayton/D220 (Screw on version sounded the worst). I also had the Pyle H612, both didnt perform as well as QSC/BMS 4550 (4552) or QSC/Celestion 1745. Also thought from 2KHz on up the Celestion 1425 was impressive (Same price range as the D220). It could be the screw on version, maybe listening to the higher cost BMS4550 just gives me a different POV. Who knows, Im fully aware of many DIY builds with the D220/Pyle stuff but its not for me.

Everyone has there own goals and maybe other goals have the Dayton 10"/D220 play comfortably in its range (which needs to be higher up) but I need my waveguides to play down closer to 1KHz.

FWIW, the polars on all of them are going to be just fine (polars alone without XOs, CSDs, etc isnt going to tell us many differences) but the CSD with the D220 was the worst I have seen with lots of stored energy. Check out the CSDs on the different compression drivers http://sites.google.com/site/drivervault/driver-measurements/acoustic-elegance-td12m

Last edited:
Does anyone know of 2" throat waveguides that aren't diffraction horns? That kinda turns me off about the EV ones. I have a pair of Community M200As that are looking for horns to mate with.

Not all diffraction horns are the same, not by any means.

I would not discount the EV Horns (if you are referring to the HP640 or HP940) until you have heard them. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Are you anywhere near Southern New England?