Best 5" mid/bass for 2-way speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to build 2 pairs of speakers. One with a full-range Alpair 10, with aluminium cone.

The other I want to build is a 2-way with a non-metal cone and a nice tweeter. I presently have a pair of small speakers with 5" coated paper cones - some sort of KEF B110 clone. The idea would be to get a bit more bass with a lower fs than metal cones. I could use these or something more up-market.

What's a good design to build for this? I'd prefer a thin floorstander if possible.

What are good units to consider for this?

andy

id say the old Audax AP130ZO (not produced aymore i think), and the visaton AL130/AL130M. If 90dB sensitivity is not necessary then both these drivers, sound good. to me at least!

in fact the T/S for the Audax's are very similar to the driver Pete posted the link for. I might have to look at that driver myself.....

Hi,

The very old Audax HD13B25s (bextrene, not coated paper) are worth
far more as original replacement drivers than used for a new design.

The only problem with choosing your own unit is
getting the design right, which is not trivial. See : http://www.rjbaudio.com/Audiofiles/FRDtools.html

Test results like Zaphs are better than published curves.
good tweeter tests there as well.

rgds, sreten.

http://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy
Zaph|Audio
http://www.rjbaudio.com/
Speaker Design Works
HTGuide Forum - A Guide to HTguide.com Completed Speaker Designs.
Humble Homemade Hifi
Click below to go to
Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
The Frugal-Horns Site -- High Performance, Low Cost DIY Horn Designs
Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design
Music and Design

Hi,

The quite old Audax HD13B25s (bextrene, not coated paper) are worth
far more as original replacement drivers than used for a new design.

The only problem with choosing your own unit is
getting the design right, which is not trivial. See :
http://www.rjbaudio.com/Audiofiles/FRDtools.html

Test results like Zaphs are better than published curves.
good tweeter tests there as well.

rgds, sreten.

undefinition
Zaph|Audio
http://www.rjbaudio.com/
Speaker Design Works
HTGuide Forum - A Guide to HTguide.com Completed Speaker Designs.
Humble Homemade Hifi
Click below to go to
Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
The Frugal-Horns Site -- High Performance, Low Cost DIY Horn Designs
Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design
Music and Design

Last edited:
I was wondering about the SB Acoustics 5"

SB Acoustics :: 5" SB15NRXC30-4

I read a review which compared it very favourably with the 15W8530

andy

Agree with you I believe there is an 8ohm version as well. This driver is very well priced, I believe you can design an excellent 2 way from them. You can also use the complementary SB acoustics tweeters as well.

The SB15NRXC30-8 is a very well built driver and up there with Scan Speak on build but not quite there on sound. For most part it does very well, bass punches well above it's size, very clean and open, but there is an odd hollow quality in the mids. Doping the cone did improve it but some still remained.

Even though a nice driver with a great motor and look at the build and copper used on the pole piece, but for me the cone material let the side down. I think you can get an uncoated (non poly coated) version which may be different (better or worse?).

Attachments

• sb15NRX.jpg
    sb15NRX.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 562
The Audio Technology stuff looks nice, but as you say very expensive. The 15H looks similar in size to the TB W5-1611SA, though maybe that's where the similarity ends.

As for cone material, I've generally been satisfied with the metal cone drivers for detail and transparency. Not entirely so with warmth. Rabbitz rates the cone material on the SB as disappointing, and I do believe you can "hear" cone material in the overall sound. I quite like the Bextrene of the Audax unit I have, and the B110 was popular enough especially when the 1.5k alleged resonance was flattened. I believe Bextrene was polystyrene and died out along with some other materials.

I suppose it's a good question to ask what cone material is currently favoured in the top speaker units?

andy

I suppose it's a good question to ask what cone material is currently favoured in the top speaker units?

andy

The trend is toward ceramic cones by Accuton but I still think it's just a marketing gimmick. Do you really want so much detail that it confuses your brain? =P

Im currently listening to some kevlar cones and enjoy them thoroughly for the transparency especially on piano and saxophone. (OT)

Hi,

If I recall correctly Bextrene was a plastic derived from wood spirits, like
Bakelite. Its totally outclassed by modern polypropylene variants, which
now due to its near ubiquity (e.g. nearly all car drivers) is looked down
on by those wanting something a little different, its still very hard to
beat for overall cost effective performance.

Zaphs site is a wealth of information. If you can get the c/o point
down to 1.7kHz (see some designs on his site) then its actually
fairly easy to deal with the SB drivers minor 1.7kHz dip as you
can adjust the c/o Q to compensate.

Just need the right tweeter to go that low.
See the SB29 here : Zaph|Audio - Design Contest Results

rgds, sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.