Follow up on copper foil speaker cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• cab1.jpg
    cab1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 5,234
To insualate the foil, I used that plastic tape (with advesive on one side), I buy locally. It is 5" wide and I cut it into 4 strips, 1.25" wide. The foil is exactly 1" wide, so the plastic film tape can conveniently be attached to both sides of copper foil. I use separate cable runs for positive and negative side. Termination is done with Cardas spade lugs and heatshrink tubing applied.

The cost was about $30 for everything and it took about 2 or 3 hours to complete (both of my kids where giving me a hand and we had a lot of fun in a proccess).

As to the sound, I'll be cautious enough by saying that I didn't compare them to any other cables. But when I installed the cables in a system, I don't feel like I want to replace them. The detail is amazing, very good tonal balance and nothing that could be annoying. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• cab3.jpg
    cab3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 4,204
Looks interesting. i seen some stuff here at the audio store locally and it was very expensive. 2 conductor and it was laminated side bye side. about .5mm thick. and about 56.oo a foot i believe.

me im going to start making some of my own i like the idea of braided wires so im going to buy a few rolls of single stuff and weave my own.

here is the right cable from my cd player that i used for a while i like the colors. : O ) Now i just need to find more of these color's now..

Attachments

• wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 4,006
Controlled impedance would be one. A wide, flat cable is ideal for microwave frequencies and higher. With the two wires laminated together you would have a controlled (and probably extremely low) impedance transmission line. Of course, you would need to investigate the electric properties of this plastic tape.

At audio frequencies, who knows. But when I see a wide, flat cable I think microwave.

Peter Daniel said:
I used those 0.1 mH Alpha Core, 14ga inductors and one coil contains enough foil to make 4 lengths of 6' ea. It is also pretty thick and easy to work with.

Haha, way to think outside of the box. I see those are about $7 a pop...not bad! From the looks of it, it looks like they are already insulated as each layer has some plastic, or is it just plastic between each layer of foil...kinda like 2-ply toilet paper (lack of better example)

You said you used a 0.1mh inductor, do the bigger value inductors just have more windings, or do they have physically bigger foil?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:
They have more windings as gauge stays the same. To tell the truth I didn't expect so much linear feet of copper foil from such small coils.

There is a plastic tape between windings, but it's not attached.
Below is a special .05mH @ 14ga next to a 1mH @ 12ga. For Peter, I show a "two-ny" to gauge size with. The two-ny is a little over an inch in diameter and worth about $1.25USD.

Attachments

• alpha_core_01.jpg
    alpha_core_01.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 2,781
Hi all,

I was also considering using copper foil coils for speaker cable some time ago. The coils available here are of 0.07mm x 25mm copper strip. I was considering mounting the copper strips sandwiched between 2 cut mylar strips (0.2 mm thickness) with 3M high performance double sided adhesive tape. Mounting the copper strips side by side.

As for now I stick with 50-strand computer flat cable. With this I am more flexible to balance inductance versus capacitance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.