Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Ultimate Solution - a 12 way loudspekersystem
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2010, 06:25 AM   #1
ronin1953 is offline ronin1953  Germany
diyAudio Member

Question Ultimate Solution - a 12 way loudspekersystem

Up to the moment i have documented in german language a speakersystem with 12 crossovers an 13 Speakers. I intend to translate all the stuff in english laguage if there is enough interest in the documentation. By the way there will be also a lot stuff about the physics of speakersystems within the documentation. Curious guys around here mght have a prior look at the german documentation at: http://www.harrowalsh.de/Elektronik/thema0804.htm but be aware that at the moment there are no englich text available.
The Speakersystem is able to handle up to 180 Watt at 8 Ohms - but there are also the tables to build speakersets with 4 Ohm. In the same area iīm also starting up with the documentation of an 120 Watt per channel stereovalveamplifier with 6 times EL34 per channel that i built too. At this moment both documentations are not complete, but if there ist enough interest out there , then iīll start up to create also transplated pages to.
Old 13th September 2010, 12:09 PM   #2
LineArray is offline LineArray  Germany
diyAudio Member

I guess a 12 or even 13-way speaker using
dynamic drivers would qualify for the
"Multiway" forum ?

Kind Regards
Old 13th September 2010, 04:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Multiway or exotic ?

First of all - thanks for the reply. I assumed while posting the thread, that Multiway ( if you look at the threads there ) seems to bother about regular speakers with regular enclosures and regular crossovers ( and that limits up to 5 way -what is already quite exotic - because only very few loudspeakersystems have so many crossovers ).....
In this thread I assume, that the case has 14 separate chambers inside, each chamber is calculated to avoid resonce from each other, each crossover filter is a 4 pass passive filter with 24 dB, and each of the cases consists of 5,5 sqaremeter of hardwood 5,5 cm thick ( assuming to a weight of nearly 96kg for one speakersystem ..... i needed nearly three years to build them....
so all these facts together I assume that only very few guys will take time to build a pair of such monsters ( 1,65 Meter high, 65 cm wide, 60 cm deep ).....
simply the fact that you canīt buy the coils but have to wind them and meter thhem each single pair and each pair of the capacitors has to be selected single what needs hours of metering capacitors in a shop to collect pairs together .... so finaly I assumed that to be quite exotic
but it is the final result to speaker mechanics and physical laws.... never the less - I donīt mind if the thread is moved to another spot... the point thats really important is: shall I proceed and translate more than 60 pages of text from german to english or not - and is there interest for that content ???
Old 13th September 2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I have moved it over to multi-way.
Old 13th September 2010, 04:41 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Yes of course we would like it translated but I have a question. Where are the photographs?
Old 13th September 2010, 05:32 PM   #6
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

ditto badman and cal.
Old 13th September 2010, 05:39 PM   #7
Frank Berry is offline Frank Berry  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd like to see the phase response and impedance plot for this system.
I've never tried to build anything bigger than a 4 way system. Even then, it was difficult to obtain a reasonably flat impedance curve and good phase response.
The final design sounded good but it wasn't very efficient.
Old 13th September 2010, 05:43 PM   #8
Frank Berry is offline Frank Berry  United States
diyAudio Member

I was able to use Google to translate the German to English:

German to English translation
My love for vinyl records and music came rather early. My father was a professional soldier in the U.S. Army and I started already in early youth to take part of my pocket in the PX (supermarket for U.S. military personnel overseas in the military base) and then in a record "implement". Later, I received a birthday once a record - Subscription for a classic series in which all the European classical composers were presented with photographs of famous European symphony orchestras. My own preference was more in the Rhythm & Blues area. Later, Rock 'n Roll to Rock. Meanwhile, I've started an LP collection with over 2500 LP's - of plates from the early 30s to the late '80s and mid-90s.

Already as a teenager I had for my two tape recorders and even built my two turntables and mixers busy myself with electronic effects devices, because a friend was guitar player of mine and I built for him and sonic effects devices such as wah-Hall.

Later I had - after I moved to Germany - I bought up by and by an "acceptable" investment. He was power amplifier from Denon, which was pre-amplifier from Marantz, the speakers were of Sansui, of a record player was a Thorens TD126 (the classic) with an Ortofon moving coil system and an Elac turntable with magnetic needle system for old records and shellac. For a long time, I was relatively happy with this configuration, because I was clear about the fact that I called "high-end systems can not afford.

However, I had to take note of that in my circle of two real "freaks" were with plants of my system was superior. One friend swears has a facility with all components of Sansui and Magnavox Refenzboxen and other acquaintances to all electronic components from Denon and Infinity speakers and electrostatic.

I am a man who regards things occasionally slow, but then - will remain for years - "on the ball." From my 30th Geburttag as I began with the subject of HiFi and the related topics of intense concern to me in my spare time and progressively in the years to acquire such expertise.

Some 10 years later I began to implement the learned and built by and by "high-end" - components in self-made. The presented instructions on the following pages is one of the results of my ongoing for over 15 years dealing with this issue and this result does not need to fear a comparison with some other high-end speaker system. On the contrary - so far these speakers have won all the comparison - and not just in my opinion but the opinion that an owner who had spent their speaker a real asset. Any comparison ended at the end saying that they wanted me to buy my speaker ......

A final note on the instructions: I take the view that it is not sufficient to recreate a construction manual only stubborn. It is important to understand why you do things and what the consequences are if we depart from an instruction or it is modified. I consider it absolutely makes sense to read all the texts on the subject. It might for example difficult to be exactly the same speaker to buy today. If not followed the instructions here by necessity, we can only ensure the same high level, if you understand where, why and what criteria govern the selection of a particular speaker was, if you look for a suitable alternative.
Old 13th September 2010, 06:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Yes of course we would like it translated but I have a question. Where are the photographs?
I have given allready the entryadress in the first post.
some more Photos made in the buildingphase are at:
http:\\www.harrowalsh.de\Elektronik\index_MC.htm
http:\\www.harrowalsh.de\Elektronik\thema080404.htm
and as explained Iīm just beginning to establich the further pages and more
pictures will be added. As explained at the moment the text is only in German language. If there ist enough interest out there - say at least some 10 guys or more - i will take up the task to translate the whole stuff and continue in dual language documentation. The point is that this work, that requires several hours only is worth the work - if there ist realy enough interest in the material. As explained also taking the description and starting up with own
loudspeakersystem is a challenging task of several months and just to give an idea of cost ( only material ) the speakersystems in one box amount up to something around 2600 Euro and electronicmaterial will amount to some 600 to 700 Euro per Speakersystem.... so thatīs not a "one-Day-Project" and depending to the selected Speakers in the System the measurements have to be readjusted with quite a bit of math....
Old 13th September 2010, 06:14 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I think you can do Google Translate as Frank Berry has done for us and post it somewhere for us to link to.

The links in the post above don't seem to work.

Ultimate Solution - a 12 way loudspekersystemHide this!Advertise here!