Air Core vs Iron Core - When?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not just smaller, but usually a lower DC Resistance due to needing less turns of wire to create that inductance - this means less loss of level through it and less effect on damping factor - both frequently relevant in optimising performance of a low frequency driver.
Of course, if driven to too high a level, there is the risk of saturation mentioned already in this thread, so it's not all positive - hence some of the differing opinions about their value.
As with most things, it comes down to weighing up the particular balance you want between the different factors, not just any one factor dominating the decision IMO.

Running this through some crossover software, for 800/5000, the coils come out 3.2mH and 0.51mH for a Linkwitz-Riley 2nd Order assuming 8 ohms. These calculations were run just to get a general idea of the coil size.

If I do this I will try to determine the actual impedance of the driver at the crossover frequency and design for that.

While I make no claim that these are the greatest speakers, they were cheap enough, fun to build, have lasted me for decades, and sound pretty good ... all things considered.

YouTube - Santana: Yamaha RX-797+12" 3-Way DIY Speakers

Again, I would likely build the crossover to the actual impedance of the drivers at the crossover. And built with better components. Coils are pretty much standard, but I would likely use something better than non-polar electrolytic capacitors.

The one thing I worry about is that even with precise design, how much cut and try will I have to do to get the crossovers turned correctly.

Still thanks for all the responses, very helpful.

Steve/bluewizard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.