Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

"Small" enclosure for Tannoy 15"
"Small" enclosure for Tannoy 15"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2011, 06:52 PM   #11
jf65 is offline jf65  France
diyAudio Member

hello,
Onkens are made for Altecs 416, but are just regular bass reflex with S = 6.34. The ports on the side help stiffen this big box. IMHO it's useless to calculate an Onken enclosure for any other driver, with an Onken calculator, it's a waste of time and work.
I'm at the moment in search of an enclosure for a set of reconed K3838s. I tried them in the original Onken (277 l): big bump in the bass around 60 Hz, boomy bass. I made the recommended bass reflex like the classic monitor (230 l) but it's not very good , a little smaller bump in the bass but not yet good. I tried various tunings with WinISD but they made only a very small change. I tried a smaller box (160 l) but no big change.
I think i will try the R-GRF in a few days, because this driver doesn't seem to be suited for a bass reflex but for a horn.

jean
Old 26th May 2011, 07:30 PM   #12
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

What specs did you sim with?

GM
Old 26th May 2011, 07:51 PM   #13
revintage is offline revintage
diyAudio Member

Hey Jean,
The correct Onken design for 3838 is 131dm3. Why don´t you try that if Onken is interesting? F3 will be 49Hz though. Wonder if the original specs are OK?

Last edited by revintage; 26th May 2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 26th May 2011, 07:55 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
What specs did you sim with?

GM
I used the specs of the Tannoy brochure, i didn't measure them myself, but i tried different tunings and changed the port dimensions so i think i covered possible variations.

see my results for 2 boxes (90 and 225 l, different vents):
Hébergement instantané d'images - imagik.fr

Maybe i missed something, and i'm willing to learn, i'm not very pleased to have to build a R-GRF to see if it fits.

I met Tannoy at a friend's who owns Westminsters, he even allowed me to take them home for a few days (not easy to move), so when i saw an ad for K3838s i jumped on them. I have a drawing of the westminsters, they're out of my league.

Jean
Old 26th May 2011, 08:06 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintage View Post
Hey Jean,
The correct Onken design for 3838 is 131dm3. Why don´t you try that if Onken is interesting? F3 will be 49Hz though. Wonder if the original specs are OK?
I made Onkens for Altecs (277 l)in 1982 and they are still in use in my system, i find them to be the best bass i've heard. But in "L'Audiophile" Jacques Mahul, founder of Focal, calculated the parameters of the box and found that it was simply a bass reflex. It's an old design pre-dating TS parameters, based on Jensen enclosure. The good characteristics are the big vent and the doubled sides for the stiffness. If you make a bass reflex with S=6.34 with a large enough vent area, no use to make it with an Onken shape. This particular Onken box is not the only one made by the firm, there's also Onken W with 2 drivers and just 2 holes for vents, another one a copy of Altec A7.

Jean
Old 26th May 2011, 08:33 PM   #16
revintage is offline revintage
diyAudio Member

Quote:
calculated the parameters of the box and found that it was simply a bass reflex.
Everyone knows this, it has never been a secret!
Old 26th May 2011, 08:46 PM   #17
Charles Darwin is online now Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Here are some thoughts on this:

Tannoy Monitor Gold Crossover: Frequency Response
Old 26th May 2011, 09:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintage View Post
Everyone knows this, it has never been a secret!
You know it, but apparently not many people, so why is there on Onken calculator? Any bass reflex calculator can do the job. You were talking about designing Onkens for the 3838, i just said that IMHO why it was useless.
If eveybody knows it, it should never be mentioned except for the Altec forum. Why are so many people thinking that they are making something special when trying to adapt it to any driver?

Jean

By the way your remark was a little harsh, if things that some people know are declared useless to say then they can shut down every forum, because we are talking about stuff that everybody knows for a long time.
Old 24th February 2012, 06:53 PM   #19
andersen09 is offline andersen09
diyAudio Member

Hey Jean and others,

Any news on the quest for the perfect 'small' enclosure. I am still thinking Onken, R-GRF or aperiodic design (closed with flow restricted vent). I am using the aperiodic design with HPD385A and the bass is tight and well controlled (IMHO)

Jesper
Old 24th February 2012, 08:53 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersen09 View Post
Hey Jean and others,

Any news on the quest for the perfect 'small' enclosure. I am still thinking Onken, R-GRF or aperiodic design (closed with flow restricted vent). I am using the aperiodic design with HPD385A and the bass is tight and well controlled (IMHO)

Jesper
I have abandonned the R-GRF which is not suited for my drivers (K 3838) . THe best for now is a 150/200 L bass reflex.
I'm interested in the aperiodic design, i would be interested in some details and drawings.

Jean

"Small" enclosure for Tannoy 15"Hide this!Advertise here!