AS studio monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do have this problem: I honestly hate Bass Reflex type monitors (it's a fake technology, to me) but nowdays there aren't cheap alternatives that uses Acoustic suspension ($6000 Neumann - was Klein+Hummel - O 300 aren't within my reach) in nearfield studio monitoring (I actually use a pair of Cantons GLE 70 which are *not* nearfield).

The goal is to obtain something comparable (in terms of quality and costs) to $200 Behringer Truth B2031P, but in 3-way mode...

I'm trying to collect ideas/suggestions/experiences/constructive critiques to build a DIY project - that will be CC BY-NC-SA licensed, of course - to solve this problem (i'm not an expert, but i have good hearing).

Thanks in advice !!!

have you actually heard the truths? I mean I know monitors are meant to sound flat, but those guys took the meaning pretty literally, boring as hell IMO. I use KRK V6, but embarking on an active biamped 3 way build (digitally crossed) soon as I finish a couple of current projects.

dont know how you would get 3 way built for your budget that didnt sound like poo

@Charles: Blusky SAT 8 seems interesting, but out of budget.

@tubemax: AEs are cool too, but are also out of budget (250€/pair is the goal) but clearly proves that it isn't an impossible project.

Wanna refine the final goal: an open source guide to built your own 3-ways nearfield passive studio monitor (without xover).

Forward Agency NPO

It might be pretty difficult to find a DIY three-way that is specifically designed for nearfield monitoring use. Especially one that's also budget oriented. Most ones I've seen are for mid or more typically far-field use.

In the same vein to Zaph's three-ways I also found the "Black Box" three way project over on the PE project gallery: Speaker Project - Black Box -- 8/23/2011

The cost for all the drivers is about $375US so it's a bit above your stated driver budget. Also the crossover uses quite a few large value film caps so the cost goes up quickly. He does not state what the intended listening range is either.

I do have this problem: I honestly hate Bass Reflex type monitors (it's a fake technology, to me) but nowdays there aren't cheap alternatives that uses Acoustic suspension ($6000 Neumann - was Klein+Hummel - O 300 aren't within my reach) in nearfield studio monitoring (I actually use a pair of Cantons GLE 70 which are *not* nearfield).

I hate bass reflex too. Sorry I can't help with your problem but it may be worth upgrading the caps in your Canton crossovers.

Cap Test

The goal is to obtain something comparable (in terms of quality and costs) to $200 Behringer Truth B2031P, but in 3-way mode...
This makes little sense as an objective. A 3 way should have the objective of being better than a 2 way if the extra cost and expense is to be justified. A reasonable 2 way DIY design is going to be pushed to match the price of your Behringer speakers never mind a 3 way. Excluding the crossover for a 3 way also makes little sense because a substantial amount of cost and design goes into it. Having said that, a modestly priced sealed 3 way design along the lines of the K&H 0300 is likely to be of some interest.

I suspect there are few appropriate modestly priced woofer and midrange drivers so that would seem a place to start. What modestly priced 8" woofers are designed to work well in a sealed 15-20 litre volume and are clean through the crossover to a small midrange? What modestly priced small midrange has the efficiency and SPL to do the job? The 3" dome midranges used by Neumann, ATC,... are far too expensive.

have you actually heard the truths? I mean I know monitors are meant to sound flat, but those guys took the meaning pretty literally, boring as hell IMO.

I've lived with both the B2030A and B2031P. The former is very impressive for what it is (a tiny box with everything built-in), once set up properly (play with the switches on the back!). The latter is limited in SPL by the first-order slope on the tweeter: in large rooms with plenty of power, harmonic distortion starts rising in the midrange, giving a slightly "forward" presentation. It was still rather loud, though. :cool:

Even Linkwitz was impressed with the B2031A. IMO, they're unbeatable at the money, and the 4th order LR crossover ought to alleviate the distortion problem I mentioned above.

Chris

Breaking: check these out !

82512.jpg

3 ways AS with 8" wf, 4" mr, 1/2" tw (and Yamaha-looking) @ 60 $/pair !!!

I'm quite sure that are craps, but it's another example that my idea is achievable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.