onken Onken w or A7 or Valencia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the process of starting to build the hometheather/Audioroom at home and I would like to build it with good speakes, the space of the room is quite big. But what are the best to choose for 2 channel and multiaudio.

The goal is to have the best hometheather / Audio room using altec speakers / McIntosh electronics .

so which one should i use ...

onken
Onken w
A7
Valencia

The other requierment are that the boxes can be built , since the A7, Valencia and Onken are very rarae here in Sweden , you can just imagine the shipping costs of the boxes from say the US....

Thanks ! Conny

I have recently used the Onken design on some 12" Tannoy Monitor Golds and i am very impressed with the outcome. The bass from them is stomach thumping at times if its on the source. Dont know whether they would suit you but good luck with your project.

Jim.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's better. At least in moderate to large spaces. And we are talking Hi-Fi here, not P.A. I've never heard OB sound as good or as clean.

I've heard the Onken W in rooms from about 125- 450 cubic meters. Clean, deep, powerful, beautiful. Amp matching is important, you can really hear the amp. Not that I heard any amp sound bad, but going to better and better amps can be quite rewarding.

It's a simple design, just a big box with 2 little ports. It's the sand filled walls that make it so hard to build, and to move!

I'm not suggesting big boxes with double 15"ers are all the same, but I've listened to TAD 2401 (TSM-1) and was VERY impressed, too. (Interesting, how similar their appearances are!)

Also curious about the 515. Almost always, it's said to be excellent in mid to midbass but not able to extend very low. Maybe it's ~G, and ~C can get lower I guess.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Right, the 515 in theory doesn't play low. I never measured an Onken W, so I can't say.

But the bass was never lacking at all. Even room effects like air handling and doors opening and closing in the recording venue could be heard or felt. And the goofy fireworks, trains going by, cannon shots etc demo CDs were unbelievable. No sound of a speaker at all, just the sounds of what seemed to be the "real thing."

Subjectively, they are quite commanding. No idea how they measure.

I'll just hit and run with a vaguely relevant picture !
This is the first of a pair of 7 cu.ft Jensen cabs for Supravox 285GMF . Built according to the Jensen plans on the Supravox site . Nice 25mm birch-throughout ply ; marginally softer than aluminium .

Hope you like it !

MJ

Attachments

• KIF_0095.JPG
    KIF_0095.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 985
since someone asked...

My version:

A7x The "x" is for experimental/the unknown... :D

I did this for a friend & client... there are a number of tricks employed in the structural part of the construction. That short horn part on the box needs major stiffening and damping.

After doing this job, I'd say next time (there won't be a next time on this...) build from scratch, it's not as difficult a build as it may seem looking at the drawings... stock construction is variable depending on the vintage and can be pretty bad...

The design as shown is intended to work up to <300Hz and then go away rather quickly so the HF horn can come in... that's one of the trick parts... so the midbass horn really didn't help much... and actually got in the way.

I did not choose an Altec driver since I wanted the thing to go lower than a usual A7 cabinet.

It sounds very clean, cohesive and merges perfectly with the horns. Yes, they are in the intended orientation, in case you were wondering. And yes the A7x boxes can be standing up also, they are in his new listening room.

_-_-bear

Oh, I wouldn't want a stock A7 cabinet at all...

Attachments

• A7x-BEAR-Labs.jpg
    A7x-BEAR-Labs.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 998
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks. Looking again at the size of the beasts, it's obvious. :)

I have a pair of 803s, too. I turned them up but liked them better horizontal. I might try the 1005s that way to hear how that works. My walls are wood shingle, so not very reflective.

Heh, your walls are very reflective!!

You'd be surprised just how much - until you try the speakers outside, you will not know.

I do not like the 500Hz xover point at all. Ymmv.
The compression driver is critical.
The usual suspects are not on my short list, makes all the difference in the world. Imo, the 1003 are better still as are the 203 better than that... probably the right way to go is with a L'Clearch (sp?) or similar... run whatcha got?

I did not like the imaging (or lack of) with them in the horizontal position, which is why I say in a big room that would likely change...

_-_-bear

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, yes - reflective but not a flat surface. So I think of them more as diffusion than pure reflection.

I've run the 803 outside for long throw voice. We were testing at 500-600ft (150-180 meters). No problem at all. The pattern is pretty tight. Of course the 203 would be even better for that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.