old cone refreshing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sure this topic was covered somewhere but I can't find it . Anybody knows proven method to refresh the look of old paper cone? One speaker must have been closer to the window so the cone looks bleached out .I'm changing surrounds and would like to improve the overal look as well .Thanks, L

Ebony wood stain, solvent based. Mask off all areas except the cone. Spray it on lightly with an airbrush and allow to dry between coats. Don't use a brush. Don't soak the cone. If it soaks through to the back, you're applying it too heavily. Practice on a junk speaker first. (Out of an old transistor radio or something.)

Bearing in mind the original problem, food dye is not intended to be fade-proof. Check out "craft" or "artist" supplies. Look for water based dyes with "fade resistant" claims on the label. Also do a search on diyaudio.com for other threads where speaker coating has been discussed. "Modge podge" or "puzzle kote" are good search strings, these are commonly used craft products which have been suggested for speaker coating.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.