Not a "speaker guy" but have DIY crossover question(s).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is mylar considered a no-no as a series capacitor in crossovers?

I'm recapping a recent find and want to upgrade from the out of spec. electrolytics that I pulled out.

The mylars I have found are right in my prefered price range for this project.:D

I have read and been told that mylar are terrible in crossover use and not recommended.
Certainly they're better than electrolytics, no?

Hi,

Certainly not a no-no. Depending on the "quality" of you recent find and the position of the capacitor in the crossover, modern electrolytics still could be
the most sensible choice.

Replacing old electrolytics with new ones is the "biggest" upgrade. Good
crossovers will use film capacitors only in the positions they are needed.

Note all types can be "bypassed" by superior types if you are really picky.

:cool: /Sreten.

speakers and amps

There are different ways of thinking that dictate perceptions. One person can say "if it sounds good to me that's all that matters." I believe this is totally legit. Another will look at the specs and say "it measures well and that's all that matters" and thats legit too. I believe that measurement can tell you why a system sounds the way it does and why you like or don't like it. When it comes to amps and speakers it is subtle colorations such as 2nd and higher order HD and non-flat frequency response that cause this. There is nothing wrong with someone preferring a more colored system. I've been on both sides of that street. One of the biggest differences I have found is actively crossed over (miniDSP) speakers. Its all for enjoying music and video after all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.