Project presentation Horn Almighty

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi music lovers,

I sold my previous speakers the fatboy read this threat.http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/137036-big-bandpass-fatboy.html

I was thinking about a dipole project but due the poor efficiency and my plans for a 12 Watt triode amp I decided to build a Horn project.

I had a nice driver who did -3dB at 35Hz! That I had to try.
Here the simulation of the horn mouth output.
simulatie.jpg

Here the design of the box.

hornalmighty-2.jpg

Pictures say more than words, here the slide.
DSC00344.jpg

Picture the size.
DSC00342.jpg

The goal was a two way an filter at 700Hz. I made al long way form two way to three way and back to two way. About 5 moths of modifying the XO and listen-test and MLS measurements.
Now the XO at 750Hz.
I had the XO scattered across the floor I was modifying and playing music at the same time.:D

DSC00357.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

Measurements in the living room. Of one speaker.
The ripple at 200Hz is caused by the back loaded horn principle at disappears on distance. On axes the SPL lifts a bit but of axes it becomes flat. Bleu line is the phase.
20-900Hz Hamming filter, 1/3 oct smoothing,42msec window. above 900Hz rectangle , 1/3smoothing, 5msec window. So this picture is paste at 900Hz to increase the accuracy of the high frequencies. A bit of a diception the horn does -3dB at 45Hz it is very good for a backloaded horn but I had aspect 35Hz.

The average SPL at 1Wmtr is about 102dB/wmtr
gekoppeld.jpg

Stereo measurements at listening position
DSC00460-1.jpg

Stereo measurements result on listening position with out any room treatment. The horn helps eliminating the room reflections of the high frequencies.
stereo20-06-2010speakersindehoek.jpg

The filter
DSC00463.jpg

I already change it again old picture;) It just fits behind the slide.
DSC00461.jpg

Here the end result with nature stone food.
DSC00483.jpg

DSC00486.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00485.jpg

Enjoy

Regards Helmuth :cheers:

Last edited:
I think that 3 way would play rock music quite well!
It was my goal to come at 35Hz with a backloaded horn it did not work out. although many would be glad the horn does 45Hz.

When I played "Kraftwerk Radio activity live Londen" I had the experience that the bas rolled towards me like a wave, so power-full. They give a live like experience.
YouTube - Kraftwerk - Radioactivity

I now use a set that plays down to 30Hz and has a very nice sound to it. I made the neighbors drive mad when listening to the 102dB system, with a little power they play so loud and clean i didn't notice the walls where shaking. My neighbors don't complain to fast but the horns are very loud and sound as big as they are loud.
I have to compare them now only thing there so big and quit heavy that it is a problem to move them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.