bypass cap in the woofer circuit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm being told different things- a bypass cap in the woofer circuit doesn't make a difference. only enough so that it still doesn't justifies the price, yes it does, go for it. please help me decide. the design in question is Jim Holtz's Statement monitors. sorry for the lack of description but as you might realize im a complete noob at crossovers. http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/StatementBOMs010910/MonitorStatementsFarWallBOM2010.pdf

Hi,

The generally accepted "tuning" wisdom is that the quality of series capacitors
affect the sound more than parallel ones, this for most time must be true.

In your case "upgrading" what are essentially roll-off capacitors for a bass
unit I'd regard as as waste of time if you already have decent capacitors.

/Sreten.

not deviating at all. the woofer cap is 70uf. i have it paralleled with 30uf and 40uf metal caps in my crossover. just wanting to replace the 30uf cap with three 10uf foil caps
I would consider testing and improving in a 2-way (typical 2K5). In here, not the case, a 3-way, the curve of the woofer on the lower frequency side, is going to be more difficult for you, to find any differences between the caps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.