What Would YOU Do With This Cabinet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You're welcome Wilberforce! Zilch did all the figurin. He's done enough crossover work now that the effects of changes seem intuitive. After hearing big, efficient and even sounding speakers again, sure makes me want to build another pair. Even at rockin levels, they're just starting to stretch their legs.

Dan

How it looks today:

P1010056Large.jpg

Nice work Wilbur...
The thread was a good read. (thanks for pointing it out over at ....)
You are totally blessed by having the likes of Zilch pitch in.

So, it seems pretty obvious, if you're seriously considering a second box, then it's safe to say, you've been bitten.
There's no turning back now.

Just one tip. Avoid Full Moons from now on.

bobbysdad (aka Woofer)

Nice work Wilbur...
The thread was a good read. (thanks for pointing it out over at ....)
You are totally blessed by having the likes of Zilch pitch in.

So, it seems pretty obvious, if you're seriously considering a second box, then it's safe to say, you've been bitten.
There's no turning back now.

Just one tip. Avoid Full Moons from now on.

bobbysdad (aka Woofer)

Indeed, Zilch and Dantheman made it happen the way it did, I'm very grateful to both of them and all of the others who pitched in with help and ideas. It was big fun.

I am seriously considering a second box, but I'm going to have to hold off for now, because for the life of me I can't figure out where I'd put it that would do justice to it. As you can see in the picture, it would be better to have those 4311s spaced a bit further apart. I'm a bit cramped for space in this room as it is now.

Nonetheless, I'm really enjoying it as it is right now. My ears are ringing again...

Indeed, Zilch and Dantheman made it happen the way it did, I'm very grateful to both of them and all of the others who pitched in with help and ideas. It was big fun.

I am seriously considering a second box, but I'm going to have to hold off for now, because for the life of me I can't figure out where I'd put it that would do justice to it. As you can see in the picture, it would be better to have those 4311s spaced a bit further apart. I'm a bit cramped for space in this room as it is now.

Nonetheless, I'm really enjoying it as it is right now. My ears are ringing again...

.... yes, my oversight, AND Dantheman. :eek:

Be careful with the volume tho', as sometimes you just can't tell how loud it is, if it's clean.
Don't want to blow your eardrums out, or your head off do we now?
Quality can be found at any volume.

You could still get another one, and just flip it upside down on top of the one you have and still run the pair in mono.
No, I'm not pulling your leg. It would sound fab.
... and yes, spreading the 4311's would be good, but you can't win 'em all.
If you want more spread, start looking at you room from a different perspective. ie, using a corner as an apex/centre.
That way you could have widest spread possible by placing the 4311's in opposing corners. It's worth some thought.
I've got a mismatched pair of 4311's coming this week, (a grey one and a woodgrain one), and I just don't know where I'm gonna stick THEM. (no suggestions from the audience please!) :shy:

Anyway, for now, just have fun, and watch those ears!!! :)

... and yes, spreading the 4311's would be good, but you can't win 'em all.
If you want more spread, start looking at you room from a different perspective. ie, using a corner as an apex/centre.
That way you could have widest spread possible by placing the 4311's in opposing corners. It's worth some thought.

this room is complicated--one corner has the butt end of a Yamaha grand piano, another corner has the front door opening into it, there are keyboards along one wall. too much stuff. I need a bigger place! :)

enjoy those 4311s--I've had mine since I bought them new in 1979, and they still sound great.

I hear ya!
I need a warehouse for all my stuff.
I don't know where I'm going to put the 11's when they get here.
.... but I had to get 'em for my collection. The price was right.
Besides, it was either them, or a pair of 4430's at $1750, and I didn't have the $1750! :(
So you got a Yamaha Grand huh? Yes, I can see how that would take up some room... LoL

It's finally finished, I think!

finsihed2Large.jpg

Zilch and Dan, I updated R2 and C3 as per your tweak, and I've got high end headroom for days! Awesome and mighty!

I decided to keep the grill cloth simple--I like the look of the naked horn. Maybe later I might try a traditional frame, but for now, I like this look.

Here's a photo that conveys visually just how stupidly loud this thing is:

finishedmonolithLarge.jpg

Thanks again, all of you. It came a long way from the pic at the start of this topic. The smartest thing I did with this cabinet was to start this thread! :D

It's come a long way since page 1.
Give yourself a pat on the back. You've done exceptionally well. (Really and truly.)
Don't give up thinking about a mate for it tho'.

Cheers lots....

Not going to give up on the mate--I just need a different room, and who knows when that will happen. I have a cabinet maker all lined up who will make the 2nd one better than the original, and for a reasonable price.

I need a compound out in the boonies... :D

That looks awesome! I bet it faithfully unleashes whatever it's fed with impressive aplomb. Great job man. It took some determination to see this through.

Dan

I'll take some credit for determination, I have that in spades when I get fired up about something. But you and Zilch and the other helpful people here led the way. I never imagined it would sound this good, I learned a lot, and had big fun all along the way.

Thanks again, all!

Not going to give up on the mate--I just need a different room, and who knows when that will happen. I have a cabinet maker all lined up who will make the 2nd one better than the original, and for a reasonable price.

I need a compound out in the boonies... :D

Well until you get another room, as I said earlier, IF you did manage to get the other one built, you would be devastated at just how good a sound you can get by flipping the 2nd one upside down, and sticking it on top of the original one, and running it in mono....
.... and it doesn't need to be loud either.
Having the system set up in an 'array' fashion (ie, having all components all vertically aligned), gives the sound an amazing clarity and definition.
If it sounds great now, it's gonna sound twice as great if you ever get around to it. ;)
Keep us updated when it happens.... :D

I'm a bit of a mono fan at times, and I'm currently trying to put together a pair of JBL4530 J-Bins, and a JBL2360 Horn in the same manner.
I still haven't got the frame for the horn done (so I can plonk the other 4530 on top of it) yet, but soon. :rolleyes:
... and if I had the room, I still have enough left to do another stack. :eek:

Oh to find a nice barn out in the country somewhere. :)

I'm reviving this old thread because, after months of planning, I've made good on my threat to create a stereo pair of this magnificent speaker that you guys helped me to create. I just wish Zilch was here to see it, I think he would have gotten a kick out of these. I thought of him many times while I was putting these things together.

P1010392Medium.jpg

I'm fortunate to have an extremely talented cabinet maker in the area who is also a hi-fi nut. He put in a lot of effort to work out the discrepancies between Jensen's original plans and the home made cab that I found on Craigslist that started all of this madness.

The first thing we decided to do was to make two new cabinets rather than just duplicate the old black one. This allowed us to do it right, because whoever made the old one took some shortcuts, and made a few mistakes. It's still a great sounding cabinet, but these are mo' better! :yes: In fact, they're four inches taller than the old one.

Bob (the cabinet maker) ordered Russian birch no-void multi-ply, solid stuff. He recommended the natural finish, my idea was the two tone look, because those braces on the ends of the horn mouth look too much like knick-knack shelves. So before the cabinets were put together, I was down at his shop, staining and finishing the inside parts.

My other improvement over the original was the addition of a false bottom that sits four inches back and gets them an inch and a half up off the floor. It helps tame the bass.

I found another JBL 2220A on eBay after months of searching for one at a reasonable price, and I upgraded the HF drivers to Selenium 2500s for much smoother high end. They're being driven by a Sherwood S-5000II tube amp that puts out 36 watts a side. But I think a flea-watt SE amp would still get me complaints from the neighbors. These beasts are seriously efficient.

After I got them home, it was a couple of days staining and finishing, putting the components in, and firing them up. Oh lord, these are absurd! Huge, clean, smooth, transparent sweetness. Zilch, wherever you are, yes, they play STUPID loud! :yes:

P1010389Medium.jpg

Big thanks to everyone here that helped: Bill Waslo helped me find another QSC waveguide, Chris Becker supplied me with official Zilchlab PC boards, DanTheMan was a big help, and everything else I needed was already here in this thread. I have more pics of the construction process if anyone's interested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.