Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

What Would YOU Do With This Cabinet?
What Would YOU Do With This Cabinet?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2010, 03:02 PM   #141
dantheman is offline dantheman  United States
diyAudio Member
 
dantheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mountain View, CA
You're welcome Wilberforce! Zilch did all the figurin. He's done enough crossover work now that the effects of changes seem intuitive. After hearing big, efficient and even sounding speakers again, sure makes me want to build another pair. Even at rockin levels, they're just starting to stretch their legs.

Dan
__________________
My Blog
My Music Recordings
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 04:42 PM   #142
Wilberforce is offline Wilberforce  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilchLab View Post
The speakergeeks were havin' too much fun to check the catalog, obviously.

Jantzen is fine. The actual value was a bit less than 3.9uF, so I rounded up. Recalling how we got to there, I'd say you'd be safe going with Dayton 4.0uF, as well....
Just placed an order for the Jantzen. Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 03:21 PM   #143
Wilberforce is offline Wilberforce  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
How it looks today:

Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 09:56 PM   #144
ZilchLab is offline ZilchLab  United States
R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
[Guessin' it'll play stupid, stupid loud.... ]
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 12:35 AM   #145
dantheman is offline dantheman  United States
diyAudio Member
 
dantheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mountain View, CA
Nice rig man! Love those stands. Great idea.

Dan
__________________
My Blog
My Music Recordings
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 06:06 PM   #146
Wilberforce is offline Wilberforce  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilchLab View Post
[Guessin' it'll play stupid, stupid loud.... ]
insanely loud...
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 07:19 PM   #147
bobbysdad is offline bobbysdad  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
bobbysdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Nice work Wilbur...
The thread was a good read. (thanks for pointing it out over at ....)
You are totally blessed by having the likes of Zilch pitch in.

So, it seems pretty obvious, if you're seriously considering a second box, then it's safe to say, you've been bitten.
There's no turning back now.

Just one tip. Avoid Full Moons from now on.

bobbysdad (aka Woofer)
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 12:07 AM   #148
Wilberforce is offline Wilberforce  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysdad View Post
Nice work Wilbur...
The thread was a good read. (thanks for pointing it out over at ....)
You are totally blessed by having the likes of Zilch pitch in.

So, it seems pretty obvious, if you're seriously considering a second box, then it's safe to say, you've been bitten.
There's no turning back now.

Just one tip. Avoid Full Moons from now on.

bobbysdad (aka Woofer)
Indeed, Zilch and Dantheman made it happen the way it did, I'm very grateful to both of them and all of the others who pitched in with help and ideas. It was big fun.

I am seriously considering a second box, but I'm going to have to hold off for now, because for the life of me I can't figure out where I'd put it that would do justice to it. As you can see in the picture, it would be better to have those 4311s spaced a bit further apart. I'm a bit cramped for space in this room as it is now.

Nonetheless, I'm really enjoying it as it is right now. My ears are ringing again...
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 12:16 PM   #149
bobbysdad is offline bobbysdad  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
bobbysdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilberforce View Post
Indeed, Zilch and Dantheman made it happen the way it did, I'm very grateful to both of them and all of the others who pitched in with help and ideas. It was big fun.

I am seriously considering a second box, but I'm going to have to hold off for now, because for the life of me I can't figure out where I'd put it that would do justice to it. As you can see in the picture, it would be better to have those 4311s spaced a bit further apart. I'm a bit cramped for space in this room as it is now.

Nonetheless, I'm really enjoying it as it is right now. My ears are ringing again...
.... yes, my oversight, AND Dantheman.

Be careful with the volume tho', as sometimes you just can't tell how loud it is, if it's clean.
Don't want to blow your eardrums out, or your head off do we now?
Quality can be found at any volume.

You could still get another one, and just flip it upside down on top of the one you have and still run the pair in mono.
No, I'm not pulling your leg. It would sound fab.
... and yes, spreading the 4311's would be good, but you can't win 'em all.
If you want more spread, start looking at you room from a different perspective. ie, using a corner as an apex/centre.
That way you could have widest spread possible by placing the 4311's in opposing corners. It's worth some thought.
I've got a mismatched pair of 4311's coming this week, (a grey one and a woodgrain one), and I just don't know where I'm gonna stick THEM. (no suggestions from the audience please!)

Anyway, for now, just have fun, and watch those ears!!!
__________________
Here I am....
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 05:30 PM   #150
Wilberforce is offline Wilberforce  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysdad View Post
... and yes, spreading the 4311's would be good, but you can't win 'em all.
If you want more spread, start looking at you room from a different perspective. ie, using a corner as an apex/centre.
That way you could have widest spread possible by placing the 4311's in opposing corners. It's worth some thought.
this room is complicated--one corner has the butt end of a Yamaha grand piano, another corner has the front door opening into it, there are keyboards along one wall. too much stuff. I need a bigger place!

enjoy those 4311s--I've had mine since I bought them new in 1979, and they still sound great.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


What Would YOU Do With This Cabinet?Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cabinet Help!!!! theonlymoog Construction Tips 8 18th February 2009 03:02 AM
Cabinet Help felipastro Multi-Way 0 30th August 2008 08:03 PM
configuration of cabinet rv1890 Multi-Way 2 29th January 2006 11:52 PM
Cabinet Material??? FrankRoss Multi-Way 12 15th February 2004 03:22 AM
My first cabinet. jleaman Multi-Way 2 17th May 2003 11:08 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2020 diyAudio
Wiki