Wharfedale W15RS Rattle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Wharfedale w15rs that I noticed has a pronounced rumble or rattle sound when handling very low frequencies. I usually listen to acoustic music at
moderate levels but today was listening to electronic "trance" music and the rattling sound suddenly became apparent. I did a rudimentary test for VC rub and ruled that out. It seems the the treated cloth surrounds make a buckling sound (think sail cloth or other waterproofed fabric) when flexed. To make matters worse, there is a pinched part in the surround which appears to be a manufacturer's defect. As the surround was glued, excess fabric pinched in that spot. This means that the surround is not a perfect half-pipe configuration and when flexed......You get the point.

Any suggestion other than re-foaming? Does anyone have experience with these drivers?

Thanks for your patience with this tedious description.

- Jason

Mystery solved. I realize that no one will read this except me however in the event that someone experiences the same problem I am updating this thread. The problem, it turns out, was a loose dust cap. About one quarter of the cap had become unglued and would rattle when pushed to very low freq. A very slight buzz was also apparent after I discovered the problem. A little PVA and as good as new.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.