Recycled Wharfedale cabinets into JBL corner horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I"ve been redoing some old Wharfedale cabinets I had laying around. Not finished yet, but very close. Running JBL LE-175's with H91 conical horns and L94 bent plate lenses, 3110A crossovers and 15" JBL pro woofers. Grills are held on with magnets imbedded in the cabinets behind the veneer.

Before
front_266.jpg
after
face.jpg

back
back_266.jpg
front
lens_266.jpg

Brazilain Rosewood Veneer (from the top)
jbltops_396.jpg

Lovely speakers, but I hope they had been gutted before you got the boxes, because that was a very nice speaker in its original form. It had (obviously) a ported 12 inch woofer and two 5 or so inch mids on small baffles, and a 3 inch upward pointing tweeter (with a bigger alnico magnet than many woofers). Sort of an early predecessor to the Dahlquist DQ 10. Nice warm relaxed spacious sound. The surrounds of the mids were foam which decomposed, but the woofer had cloth if I remember correctly. Used a big ceramic tile to damp the back panel. One of Warfedales most attractive speakers in my opnion. But yours look even nicer, too, and probably have a much livelier sound.

Nat Eddy said:
Lovely speakers, but I hope they had been gutted before you got the boxes...

Oh yes, they were sitting behind this guys garage under a plastic tarp with no drivers. He had sold the drivers to some guy in Japan, who paid premo dollars. I picked up the empty cabinets for $25. I've spent a lot more than that now on drivers and refinishing. :nod:

Do you by chance know the model of the original Wharfedales?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.