Introducing OB-1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Very nice. Can you please explain how the XO can be so simple? Are you running the mid as fullrange?

NO, the x-o is a linked series, x-o points are about 200 and 2500 (iirc)

If you choose your drivers, especially a mid with a smooth response and roll-off, this sort of x-o can be very effective.

The idea is to choose drivers that will need little or no correction in the zone you will be using them.

link to 3-way linked series x-o info below

ARGOS loudspeakers

ps.. my x-o has an extra resistor across the mid as part of an L-pad arrangment, not shown in diagram.

Last edited:
How did you decide on that midrange? did you compare against PHL, B&C or 18sound?

Im looking for more midrange choices and Im very curious.

btw, Awesome looking speakers. Someday I will have to build an OB.

budget, and availability. Down here, we don't always have the choices you guys have.

Thanks, I think it turned out rather nice, even if I do say so myself :D

Last edited:
Thanks Pete,

Looks like the 1525 Etone has low Qts=0.33, optimal would be about 0.6-0.7, higher is OK too. However the Fs is very low indeed Fs=27Hz. If the woofer is equalised then the woofer is capable of going even lower in the freq. response. Something to think about.

Thanks Pete,

Looks like the 1525 Etone has low Qts=0.33, optimal would be about 0.6-0.7, higher is OK too. However the Fs is very low indeed Fs=27Hz. If the woofer is equalised then the woofer is capable of going even lower in the freq. response. Something to think about.

The U frame definitely helps get the bass response form the Etones. Without it they are rather un-bassy. I tried many variations, and there is quite heavy padding on the mids and, of course , on the compression driver, and with a pair of 15" doing bass work, they don't have to move much in a lounge room situation.

It doesn't take much power to get them very loud! :D

Last edited:
Please show us your series x-over design, I have an OB in the pipe-line which is very similar to yours.

Thanks.

The basic design is here ARGOS loudspeakers. except add a resistor across the mid.

I'm at Uni at the moment but will try to find the values used when I get home. Have been meaning to draw it up and add it to the web page anyway.

Yanno Andy those Etones look just like my cheap Jaycar 15's

Which model Jaycar ?

I have a pair of the Jaycar 15's from several years ago, but they were NEVER cheap, and are actually one very nice PA midrange/ vocal driver. For a small vocal rig, they really very good.

trying to remember what other 15" PA driver Jaycar had recently, misplaced old cattledogs

If its this one that you have a pair of http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gradds55/Jaycar 15 PA.jpg and they were cheap, I'll gladly take them off your hands for a cheap price :D :D

Lets say that the Etone 1525 punches well above its price for my purpose, especially as I bought then a few years ago at quite a deal cheaper than current price. :D

Last edited:
Hello Andy G,

Your design looks very interesting.

I'm wondering how well dipole roll-off is to be compensated with a simple cross over like yours?

Is it possible for you to share some measurements, preferably of the individual drivers in the baffle without and with the cross over?

- Elias

If you choose your drivers, especially a mid with a smooth response and roll-off, this sort of x-o can be very effective.

The idea is to choose drivers that will need little or no correction in the zone you will be using them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.