Compression driver to horn adaptors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am putting a 1” throat driver on a larger 1.6” horn throat. What tapper should I copy, the exit from the driver or the taper from the horn?
both.
The small end of the adaptor must match the throat taper, the big end of the adaptor must match the horn taper. The length between should have a gentle curve from tangent to tangent
Unless Gedlee comes in and says otherwise.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
both.
The small end of the adaptor must match the throat taper, the big end of the adaptor must match the horn taper. The length between should have a gentle curve from tangent to tangent
Unless Gedlee comes in and says otherwise.

Beat me to the punch.. :D This is my understanding as well, i.e. you need to transition smoothly from one taper to the other. I think there is probably an optimal length for the adaptor as well, and probably within reason the shorter the better.

The problem may be, what do you do if the driver angle and horn angle are both straight, but different sizes? Say the driver is 1" and the horn is 1.6". Would it be best to minimize the length of the adapter or the taper angle of the adapter (mutually exclusive), or would one want a funky odd order curve or exponential, etc...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.