Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Baffle-less, PVC speaker, aluminum drivers, need crossover help.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2010, 03:13 AM   #1
bunshi is offline bunshi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Baffle-less, PVC speaker, aluminum drivers, need crossover help.

Hello,

I'm going to try and build a baffle-less PVC tube speaker similar to what is listed here:

Parts Express DIY Project

A few notes:

-I'm looking for an expert on this site to basically just check my crossover design, and let me know if my crossover design will result in what I want; the frequencies that I want to be filtered will actually be filtered. ( I know there are TONS of other things that I can take into account, but I just want to "dive in" and get something going, so I just want to know if what I want to do will actually happen, or if it won't work flat out)
- I'm a novice.
- I've spent the past few days searching this forum. I can tell there is a huge pool of experience, and I like the community.
-I will be using aluminum drivers because I like the "tight" sound.
-I'm basically set on using the drivers and the tweeter that I've picked out. I can explain more, but it's something that I've looked at for about 3 weeks, and I don't want to make this post longer than it has to be.

The drivers I picked out and the reasons are here:
Bass - HiVi m6a
Parts-Express.com:HiVi M6a 6" Aluminum/Magnesium Midbass | m6a 6 inch woofer midbass woofer 6" driver cast frame woofer midwoofer aluminum cone
I like the "punchy" sound. At low frequencies <500, there is little distortion. I know they are cheap, but I've heard them, and I like the bass.
Midrange - Tang Band W4-1805S 4" flat aluminum sandwich cone
Parts-Express.com:Tang Band W4-1805S 4" Neodymium Midrange Driver | Tang Band W4-1805S 4" midrange tb speakers neodymium driver line array point source midrange home theater computer speaker center channel set tube amplifier cone mid
A controversial pick, and there are essentially no reviews. I want to use it because of the awesome dispersion, and just want to try a sandwich cone driver.
Tweeter - SEAS Prestige 27TBFC/G
SEAS Prestige 27TBFC/G (H1212) Aluminum/Magnesium Dome from Madisound
zaph's pick

The Fs of the bass is 46. The Fs of the mid is 80, and the Fs of the tweet is 1500. I want to use a first order (-6/octave) because I will be crossing over at 350 and 4000 (two octaves away from the fs, so a second-order should be fine, right?).
The ohm from the bass is about 7 oh at the xover point of 350. See imp table below.

The ohm for the mid is about 8 oh at the xoverpoint of 350 AND at 4.0k. See PDF below.
http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-890s.pdf
The ohm for the tweet is 5 oh at the xover point of 4.0k

When I ran it through an online calculator for a Linkwitz-Riley crossover, I got the following design.

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/babakke/web/desi.jpg

Will this work?
Old 31st March 2010, 07:47 AM   #2
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Cylindrical enclosures are the worst manner to produce all-round reflections to the cone , maybe aluminium are safe on their side , and for the range given...
I would try what you want to build , just could move to some very cheap tweeter ,since TB specifies the use for the little planar as a fullrange.

Baffle-less, PVC speaker, aluminum drivers, need crossover help.Hide this!Advertise here!