Coax drivers for home audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wave guides are all the hot design for home audio right now. Everybody is experimenting with them with everything from 1 inch compression drivers, to modifying them to accept hifi domes. Emerald Physics and others have also gone one step further by incorporating the concept into a large coax.
What are the best coax drivers available to DIY for home audio? Does anybody know which driver Emerald is using? I see most of the pro coax speakers use a 1.4 inch compression driver with big power handling that I won't need and bass tunings for a two way which I would rather cross at 2-300 to the bass drivers. I'm looking for quality over quantity. Any ideas?

B&C closer

The B&C is getting closer to what I am looking for and the price is about right. FS, Xmax are all about right. Now if some one will forget power handling and put some real hifi smooth response into a package like that we will be set.

I've used several 12-15" cast frame Eminence - not sure how you would like its horn - - martinsoundpro probably has 1114 12" coax with 80oz magnet and edgewound coil around $120 retail(?) APT50 compression driver will work ok. BMS has some nice looking coaxials over at Assistance Audio - I would have tried one but want lower mms for Karlson couplers

Martin 1114
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Tom Danley mentioned that all coax have problems, and the least one was an 8" B&C. However, that was mentioned some time ago.

I've been looking for a pair of 12" coax to do a small OB to hang in my room. So far, I have not found any evaluation of the current ones. I'm tempted to buy a pair with small waveguide in the middle so that I can test stuffing foam with them. But they cost $900 a pair.

I've been to a few clubs in Las Vegas. Their CD sounds horrible. The worst is at PH.

Sammi has these. Not a bad driver at all. you have to do your own XO but I've heard that some use a simple cap and are happy.

WELCOME TO SAMMISOUND

Attachments

• IMG_8280.jpg
    IMG_8280.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 913
  • IMG_8287.jpg
    IMG_8287.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 882
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.