Multicell horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Honestly don't know, just imagine the minor fundamentals, harmonic structures will blend with whatever dominates and the cavity will create a notch somewhere in the room response.

Angled walls turns the room into a horn of sorts and if > 12 deg included will allow 'slap'/flutter echo to decay quickly enough to not be an issue, so a good thing and one reason why cinemas, symphony halls expand to the rear.

Obviously, > 4 walls is going to increasingly randomize its eigenmodes, 'slap'/flutter echo, etc., so can be the makings of an above average audio/video room. You want a neat room for audio/video; expand walls, ceiling from the sound wall >12 deg. and make the rear wall a deep 'V' [> 12 deg angles] facing into the room to breakup/randomize the bass. AKA live end/dead end [LEDE]. One adaptation of the principle with 'V' to the rear: 20,000 Watt Home Hi-Fi System

GM

775446d1565888711-multicell-horns-altec_814a_s-l1600-jpg

Altec 814A, circa 1976

8c+all+sides+lgr.jpg

Dutch & Dutch, circa 2019

What is the obsolete part about them? Aside from difficult manufacturing.
The modern tweeter horn would play from 3Khz up.
So we are looking at the multi cell to cover approximately 600 Hz to 3 kHz. The question then becomes what are the issues with the multi cell in that specific range?

Multicellular horns may be obsolete, but that doesn't mean they are no longer used. On the contrary I would say.

Traditional exponential multicellular horns are reportedly subject to beaming and multicell comb filtering, aka fingering.

Attachments

• Fingering_150.jpg
    Fingering_150.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
I feel I have seen these before. Are they in Europe (France?) in some guys multi million mansion who inherited his parents' (fabric or paper?) factory and managed it against the wall but still came out pretty well for him self? With very good room acoustics?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.