Which Are Best Budget Compression (mid-h.f. range) Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cal,please tell me how perform(a few impressions) those (31$ now)CD Selenium D250-x 1"???I mean knowing CD's prices(even on a budget) it seems too cheaper for sounding decent,maybe I'm wrong it's something of a bargain or....???I'd more then glad if I can start my horn adeventure with this and some good tweeters.....
Thanks!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Jean-Michael Le Cleac'h posted a similar Monacor CD a few months back. I'll see if I can dig up the post. Might be easier/cheaper to get in Romania.
Ahh, here we go. Monacor model KU-516

Cal, I offer no resistance to your explanation.....

Last edited:
Hello Maestro,

I'm sure you'll find the Monacor driver here in Romania. I gave it a search and found some links. If you have troubles finding a distributor, let me know.

@panomaniac: that really looks like a nice driver. Is Mr. LeCleach having any impression on those? Used them in his horn?

Thanks!

Cal,please tell me how perform(a few impressions) those (31$ now)CD Selenium D250-x 1"???I mean knowing CD's prices(even on a budget) it seems too cheaper for sounding decent,maybe I'm wrong it's something of a bargain or....???I'd more then glad if I can start my horn adeventure with this and some good tweeters.....
Thanks!

Geddes has posted several times that price does not dictate CD performance. Its more about the waveguide and crossover design. I remember he posted that he had $15 knock-offs from Asia that were as good as his B&C choice.

In my limted experience bolt on has less issues then screw on choices and Im a huge fan of the Celestion CDs that are found in the QSC HPR-152i and HPR-122i speakers. QSC Parts site sells them at bargain prices.

I have them (Celestion CDs), the Selenium D220, BMS 4550, BMS 4552 to test and listening too. The BMS are #1, Celestion #2 and the Selenium #3 in choice.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Its been stated many times in the past, B&C is a significant improvement over Selenium
Regarding Monacor
Several of their latest hifi drivers are Tangband
Several of their pro drivers are really Celestion
But which of the CDs, I dont know
One is obvious tho
One or several may be from Visaton
But maybe just one certain particular CD may be the real good one

Last edited:
Well, not to put you off, but here is my "theoretical experience" :deer: so far:

I am too after a high efficiency, low distortion system. Another goal would be to avoid a crossover in the 1Khz - 7Khz or so region. And of course if I get this to be transient perfect, it would be great.

After some documentation it seems I have the next options:

1. Two-way, Geddes style monitor. The things affecting the distortion figures are the drivers themselves (how much copper in the motor, surface area, etc.). Even with a 15" woofer and wave-guide, this would still be a low efficiency loudspeaker (probably 95dB at 100Hz)

2. Three-way, waveguide on top, 12 inch midrange in a short horn (Omnitop 12). This would be truly high-efficiency, at least 103dB, but I have no idea what to to with the bass section. Crossover points at 80Hz and 900Hz

3. Unity/Synergy style. Point source radiation from 300Hz to 18Khz, high efficiency, don't know what to do with the bass. Quite complicated to build, probably most complicated from all of them.

4. PaulW style. Waveguide on top, array of 4-12 seven inch midrange drivers in parallel for really low distortion, something for bass.

If you ask me, considering the experience level needed for doing a good midrange horn driven by a cone, I would forget 3-way. I would try this in the future, but not now. For me Geddes style is the way to go. If I would had more space and more money, I'd try PaulW's configuration.

I'd concentrate in finding some very good 15" woofers, with lots of copper in them, going up to 900Hz (think AESpeaskers, B&C, 18Sound) and a serious 1" CD (B&C DE250 for example), mated with a 15" oblate-spheroid waveguide or LeCleach horn.

Last edited:
Yes indeed panomaniac,300Hz to 1200Hz,I need a tweeter above that so it's not a problem if they are some kind of bargains...anyway is on my list,I'll se,I'm still searching and rethinking my project....
Do that with a cone. The only CD I can think of that will do it well is the Community M200, expensive and may not do the top end.

A scaled down version of Erik's Tractrix midbass would do the job (2nd one down).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.