Goodmans Magnum K2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hiya,

I've managed to procure all the ingredients (i.e. drivers and crossovers) for the afortementioned speakers and need some help with cabinet dimensions and wall thicknesses etc as I can't seem to find any info regarding these and will need to construct them. Also any infon regtarding the crossovers and suitable replacements would be much appreciated! (not much to ask, I know..!)

Thanks in advance!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Turns out it was a magnum XL i had. 1.76 ft^3 (50 litres).

12" woofer, picture attached.

dave

Attachments

• goodmans-magnum-sl-12W.jpg
    goodmans-magnum-sl-12W.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 292
  • magnumSL-12W.jpg
    magnumSL-12W.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 266
Nevermind, thanks for taking the time to look into it! I've managed to find the external dims (H60cm x W38cm x D29cm). 0.75" (1.9cm) sounds about right for the cab. wall thickness, so taking that into account it comes to 29.22 litres or 1.03 cu ft. Would that really be big enough for the claimed 30 Hz? If I can't get the original cabs from the ebay seller I won the parts from, I may make some adjustments to the new cabs, such as increasing the size, adding bracing and maybe some rounding of the corners...we shall see though. I am pretty anal about certain things, hifi equipment being one of them, so am looking for a suitable tweeter replacement for these speakers as they don't match (aesthetically). Any ideas people?

Cheers,

Jamie

Ok, I have the drivers and am well happy with them...well, the woofers at least. The tweeters are mismatched (only one says "Goodmans" on it - the other looks completely different and has a different dome material too) and the mids' diaphragms are holding on by the skin of their teeth. Still, 22GBP for the woofers, I think, is a bargain. So I'll have to check out replacement tweeters and 3" mids too. If you have any suggestions, please get in touch - if not, wish me luck!!

Jamie

Last edited:
Here are the pics of the mids and the tweets. I think the right tweet may be the original, as it has Goodmans written on the back of it but then the mids, like the left tweet, have nothing written on them...so it's anyone's guess really!

Have you any pics of the purple dome tweets please? If you have a pair of 'em I'd be mighty interested as I just want them to match each other really.

The mid cones are coming away from the diaphragms in places - what should I use to re-attach them? I've heard UHU or similar would be a good bet. Whaddya fink?

:mad:Why is technology SOOOOO -expletive deleted?!! I can't upload my photos to this reply. I should be able to attach them to an email to you though, Dave

Quick intoduction...I am an audiophile with a bit of a DIY streak who is attempting his first speaker restore.

I have a quick question. I too have a pair of Magnum K2's that I am restoring. I want to rebuild the crossovers and have some questions.

It looks to me that the woofer rund full range and the that, based on the capacitor values the misd is low passed at 1k and high passed at 2k (pretty narrow band).

First, am I right? Second, if I want to replace the coils does anyone know the values?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.