General speaker building questions, (a little advice please!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What speaker wire gauge do people use inside the enclosure. I use #12 getting from the amp to the enclosure but on a little tweeter or the midrange, the terminals are rather small. :rolleyes:

I was thinking #18 for the tweet, #16 for the two mid's and 14 for the 8" woofs. Any thoughts?

While I'm at it, with a WMTMW how does one tie the two W's together and the two M's together? Do you do a splice inside the cabinet or bring both out to the, (active in my case), XO? (that's 5 pair!).

If you do tie the two W's, (let's say), inside the cabinet, how? Do you do a crimp splice, a solder splice, a terminal block?

Also, when exiting the mid chamber into the woof chamber, (on the way to the XO), how do you exit? I would think running the wires through a hole then using silicone caulk around them would do the trick but if there's a better way, I'd like to know.

Finally, what do people use for gasketing material around the speaker? Closed cell weather stripping comes to mind as long as the gap is tight enough to also be air tight. Do people typically just buy ready made gaskets? If so, where is a good source?

I've heard of silicone coulk but with the downside that the speakers are near impossible to remove once in.

TIA,
Phil

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Phil O.son said:

I was thinking #18 for the tweet, #16 for the two mid's and 14 for the 8" woofs. Any thoughts?

Well. I have no idea about AWG numbers, but I tend to use 2.5 or 2.00 mm2 wire.

While I'm at it, with a WMTMW how does one tie the two W's together and the two M's together? Do you do a splice inside the cabinet or bring both out to the, (active in my case), XO? (that's 5 pair!).

If you do tie the two W's, (let's say), inside the cabinet, how? Do you do a crimp splice, a solder splice, a terminal block?

I use crimp spade terminals that attach directly to the terminals on the driver/s, and that way you can just crimp the required wires together in the same spade at the back of the speaker

Also, when exiting the mid chamber into the woof chamber, (on the way to the XO), how do you exit? I would think running the wires through a hole then using silicone caulk around them would do the trick but if there's a better way, I'd like to know.

Thats the way I've always done it, and it works fine.

Finally, what do people use for gasketing material around the speaker? Closed cell weather stripping comes to mind as long as the gap is tight enough to also be air tight.
I have some sorbothane rubber stuff that I always use, but weather stripping/draught excluder works well.

I've heard of silicone coulk but with the downside that the speakers are near impossible to remove once in.

Yup!!;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I used to use as thick as i could accomodate (up to 12 guage), but of late have been using 1 to 4 pair of the wires inside CAT 5 cable.

If you are going to actively amp everything it is nice to have all 5 speakers running separately to the outside... gives you more room to play (ie parallel or series for the doubles, or even 4 or 5 amps).

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.